ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

13 Reasons Why Linux Won't Make it to a Desktop Near You

<< < (5/7) > >>

mahesh2k:
One misconception is that Mono is not programming language it is silver lights code port API for Linux/OSX.Many of you confused it with .net technology,.net is actual programming language that is competition to java.

.Net is very good and demanding but still it is not cross platform & in future it won't get any further OS than Mac OS X.

If you've to choose between java,.net and anyother what will you choose?why?

mouser:
There was a related article recently that was interesting:

Desktop Linux? Stick a Fork in It!

It's over. The magic is gone. The dream is dead. The egg has fallen off the wall and no amount of "sudo" super glue can put his pieces back together again.

I'm referring, of course, to the not-so-recent departure of Con Kolivas from the Linux kernel development community. Con - that champion of all things desktop centric - hung-up his keyboard this summer, the victim of an ideological rift within the Linux community.
--- End quote ---

http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/2007/09/desktop_linux_s.html
And try as he might, Con never could convince the powers that be that his way was the better way, this despite copious evidence of the effectiveness of his patches. Con's concerns – and those of like-minded Linux users who appreciated the need for a better interactive desktop experience – simply weren't shared by those at the helm.

I'm highlighting this story because I see it as another clear example of why Linux continues to fail on the desktop. Despite all the warm, fuzzy talk of open source and community development, the fact remains that, at the kernel level at least, Linux is still controlled by a small group of elitist "prigs." And if a particular feature or function isn't a priority to them, it isn't a priority for Linux as a whole.
--- End quote ---

I don't know the inner debates about this so i'm definitely not going to take sides -- and the truth is i'm friendly to the idea of retaining some control and guiding direction in the hands of a small group of people than many in the open source community, but i do find it interesting.

hat tip http://www.osnews.com/index.php -- a great site

wuwei23:
One misconception is that Mono is not programming language it is silver lights code port API for Linux/OSX.Many of you confused it with .net technology,.net is actual programming language that is competition to java.

.Net is very good and demanding but still it is not cross platform & in future it won't get any further OS than Mac OS X.-mahesh2k (September 20, 2007, 09:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, Mono is the open-source implementation of .NET and it does make .NET cross platform; in fact, I'm pretty sure it's the only way to get .NET on OS X right now (excluding virtualisation solutions). A number of the standard Ubuntu apps are running on Mono, such as Tomboy; most of them should be able to run under .NET with minimal adjustment.

Moonlight is the Mono team's open-source implementation of Silverlight.

terribleterryc:
This week I experienced the joys of freespire, Linspire($50), and Linux Mint  all claiming to have one-click program installations.  Mint had nothing of interest.  Liked freespire so I bought Linspire for $50 in a desperate attempt to get netzero.deb loaded for dialup access.  When I purchased Linspire 6.0.0 they neglected to inform me that their one click CNR access isn't available yet!  In order to resolve problem I changed ISP providers(which I didn't want to do) , loaded Ubuntu , and was on line in an hour.
In the last year I have spent 300 to 500 hours trying to learn Linux(only recently did I get a book - Ubuntu for non-geeks) and I still don't know nothing.
90 to 95% of American computer users are NOT going to find linux an alternative as it is.

thomasd3:
I think one of the big problems with Linux has to do with the attitude of some people in the community.
It's like they think they're an elite and are almost afraid that 'common' people would use Linux too. After all, for many it seems like the motivation is really to be different.
there's an article about that here: http://www.sibylleandthomas.info/drupal-5.2/node/19 and it seems like people are divided about it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version