ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

13 Reasons Why Linux Won't Make it to a Desktop Near You

(1/7) > >>

mahesh2k:
This PDF i got from gizmos newsletter,i thought it is worth to share with you guys.I thought very few subscribed to his newsletter,so here is the link.

This short and whimsical article by regular contributor "Briard" is so accurate it's painful.

--- End quote ---

http://www.technoledge.com.au/pdfs/linux_desktop.pdf

I want to know your reaction about this article.Being linux user myself i do agree with some of the details of this article.

mitzevo:
I had a brief look thru, and yeah, it is pretty much true. No standards, too many things to decide, and yadda yadda ya.. M$ will still lead the way for many years to come.

steeladept:
Just thought you might like to know there are actually quite a few subscribers here.  And if you are a supporting member of this site, you can even subscribe to the Premium version at a discount.   :-*

That being said, I loved the way Briard wrote that up.  I followed each article as they were written and feel they are mostly right on the money.  However, there is a lot to learn there, and if anyone is willing to take the time, the learning curve is not that steep anymore, comparatively.  As he stated, "Linux is not ready, but some distributions are".  Thanks to Briard, I found LinuxMint and have loved it ever since.

Edvard:
I was going to post on this, but you beat me to it.

Also read Kim's posts on Is Linux Really Ready for a Simple User (8-part series, eep!!), Steven J.'s response and reasons why he thinks the Linux Desktop Will Succeed Despite Itself.
While you're at it, see LinuxBrainDump's Commenting on a Simple User.

What these articles have done for me is break through the clouds of optimism that I cannot help but get caught up in having been a Linux user for a scant 5 years now, full-time as of 2 years.
It pains me greatly to hear of the difficulties people go through over what should be a simple task and I think Stephen J.'s article touched on that, but it is a monstrous reality that some things still demand to be hand-crafted in Linux (all 'pro' arguments aside...) which, like it or not, is simply too much to ask for from the average Windows user. My wife would refuse to use Linux if I did not "fix" it for her, I can assure you.

It pains me to hear the smug and often uninformed Windows user who pops off a curt "I tried linux and it sux" (or similar) blanket statement but knowing that (as it stands) the question is not 'Is Linux ready for the Desktop' but 'Are you ready to deal with a Linux Desktop' and also knowing that for 80-90% of Windows users the answer is "No, not really, I just don't have the time, don't bug me with that icky command line, let me play my games and how come if Linux is so cool there's not a version of Photoshop for it?".
To know that as much as Windows users have put up with over the years, it still runs damn well enough to remain the dominant OS (who would complain about a 300-pound gorilla if he mows the lawn and does the dishes?), all claims of monopoly aside.
To know that, like it or not, and to varying degrees, most if not all Linux distros fall short of what they claim, and the ones that would dare advertise their shortcomings wouldn't get very far on DistroWatch.
To know that as popular as Linux is getting, most manufacturers of peripheral hardware still refuse to release robust drivers, API or code, any of which would be acceptable for the vast majority of users and a definite kick in the pants for Linux adoption.

I have run some of the most awful distros and successfully so, and thought I was so 1337 for it. I dove in headfirst to Linux and learned a ton in the process. The way was not always easy, and some days I did give up (for the day...) and some days I marvelled that people still think "Linux is not ready". Some may argue that the learning curve for Windows is steep as well, but that's no excuse. In reality, you're asking plain folks to switch carts in the middle of a race, not pick a cart at the starting line and make your go of it, which is what Microsoft did from the beginning. Linux as an easy to use personal desktop is very much "almost there", so close you can taste it, but it's an upstart in that regard, and I dare say a darned snotty one at that. Don't be surprised when people act like they are being faced with a snotty upstart... they are. In Briard's articles, he continually stated his opposition to using the command-line for ANYTHING even though we regular users know in our little geek hearts that his fears of 'breaking things' are not justified and that a terminal window is simply a portal to the magic that is the Linux experience, not the touch-and-go surgery that editing a Windows Registry is (he equates the two, you see...). Still, his viewpoint is valid that a robust, usable gui SHOULD be able to take care of what 90% of users are going to need. Blame it on Microsoft, go ahead, they deserve it, but DON'T blame Average Joe for his trained-in preferences.
I love Linux and as long as it remains legal, I will never turn back. But personally, I think it's high time we (full or part-time members of the GnU community) stop waving our 'RTFM' flags, start taking naysayers as constructive critics rather than flame-bait, give newbies the help they deserve (yes, even the annoying ones) and start helping existing distros perfect their craft before Vista gets a blood transfusion and starts singing and dancing like it was supposed to in the first place.
(tip of the hat to the 'Young Frankenstein' analogy?)

Was that a rant? Maybe I should take a poll...

Lashiec:
Kim Brebach article is exactly what I was talking about in that other thread where I heavily criticised those kind of "one hour with Linux" reviews. I'm going through it right now and so far, it's excellent, the guy took some time to actually test the distros, instead of live blogging about the installation experience and letting some guys submit the "impressive and refreshing experience" to Digg's front page. Rant over ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version