ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

<< < (15/16) > >>

nosh:
#2 = nice to know.

If I'm not mistaken you have a 2GB pagefile. Have you considered disabling it completely to squeeze that little bit more out of your system or do you think you'll hit the 2GB limit occasionally?

Darwin:
Heh, heh, yes - you're right fodder. I used a screencap of TaskManager because I find it easier to read (and assume other readers will as well). I'm less concerned about the amount of RAM free than I am about the "feel" or responsiveness of the computer. I've now had all of the above apps running for 45 minutes and added two more about 10 minutes ago (Photofiltre Studio and RealDraw Pro - each with two images opened) and TM reports that there are 550MB RAM free still... while Process Explorer reveals:

EDIT:  :-[ The main point being that my computer is still as responsive running all of these apps - getting on for 1 hour 30 minutes now - as it was with a gig of RAM and Outlook and Maxthon running by themselves (with the background processes I mentioned running as well).

Nosh - I've considered disabling my paging file but have yet to take the plunge. The computer performs so well that I can't really see the point.

f0dder:
With 2 gigs I haven't bumped into problems running without pagefile - but I don't use photoshop, video editing, or heavy 3D rendering. I do mess a slight bit with paint shop pro, I build projects with visual studio, and play some (even recent) games, though.

Darwin:
With 2 gigs I haven't bumped into problems running without pagefile - but I don't use photoshop, video editing, or heavy 3D rendering. I do mess a slight bit with paint shop pro, I build projects with visual studio, and play some (even recent) games, though.-f0dder (October 18, 2007, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm... sounds like your usage is similar to mine - even a bit more intensive (I don't play any games) - what are the advantages, in your experience, between running with and without a page file?

f0dder:
Darwin: when I was on my 1gig machine, I still felt that windows utilized the pagefile when it didn't need to. Nothing major, but it annoyed me - although with LargeSystemCache=1 and DisablePagingExecutive=1, the speed hit wasn't too bad (it annoyed me, but would probably be hard to benchmark objectively).

There were a few times on 1gig when pagefile was required, but haven't experienced it after going to 2 gigs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version