ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

<< < (12/16) > >>

nosh:
Everything just *feels* more stable, more responsive and MORE! When I upgraded this laptop from 512MB to 1GB RAM the diference was not nearly so profound (I was actually a bit disappointed).
-Darwin (October 16, 2007, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's really strange coz you're actually utilizing over 512 MB so the jump from 512 TO 1 GB should have (theoretically) made a substantial impact. The tests on Tom's Hardware attest to this. And you'd have 400 MB of free RAM even if you hadn't upgraded so I'm wondering how much the placebo factor is actually contributing here. Did you swap out your old RAM or just add a stick or two?

Edit: Reread the first page of this thread and I think I'm going to go for it. Nothing much to lose really. :)

f0dder:
I want 4 gigs in my next system, along with a 64bit OS. Large filesystem cache, and/or a substantially sized RAM disk - :-*

Darwin:
Nosh - I swapped out both sticks of RAM (512MB each) and replaced them with two 1 gig sticks.  Opening "up a bunch of processes" really means booting to my desktop and firing up Maxthon...  :-[ Your're right, of couse, that doing this leaves me with in excess of 400MB of free RAM if you're subtracting from 1GB. However, from this point I can open a TON of memory hogging apps and I'm not grinding down toward 0 but toward a gig of free RAM. I found that my system was pretty happy even with only 70MB free RAM, but it feels a heck of a lot happier/better with a Gig of free RAM. I mean, I wouldn't have even attempted the every office app plus PaintShop Pro open when I was only running 1 gig... I don't know, YMMV, but for me this was worth every penny (even if it is all placebo  :-*)...

Darwin:
Another point: I use Scansoft software, which is RAM hungry to put it mildly. It always ran when I had a gig of RAM but was sluggish and annoying. I've currently got PDF Converter 4 Professional running along side Word 2003, Outlook 2003, Maxthon 2 (also a RAM pig), Endnote X and it is like a brand new application. I've never seen it perform like this!

Task Manager reveals 1.2 GB of free RAM running the above...

nosh:
I swapped out both sticks of RAM (512MB each) and replaced them with two 1 gig sticks.
--- End quote ---

That's exactly what I plan to do. I always have around 15 icons in the system tray, I don't really need to run too many power-hungry apps side by side but I've done that and the system holds just fine. On the (rare) occasion that I fire up a 3D game, I tend to shut down as many other programs as I can - this is something I'll probably be doing even after upgrading, to spare the CPU. But I'd rather get it done and stop wondering than not and keep rationalizing to myself that I have x00 megs of free RAM. Like you, what I really need is a dual core CPU running alongside. I believe Mr.Hyde just had an idea and Dr.J seems to be playing along. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version