ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

<< < (5/16) > >>

Darwin:
A meagre 1 GB and my blasted three year old notebook is maxed out. I've had a number of conflicting reports about this - even the manufacturer's support personnel, one of their FAQ's, and both SIW and an old free version of Everest say that I can go to 2 GB, but other sources, including a different page on the manufacturer's site and Kingston RAM upgrade checker all say I'm already maxed out. If 1 GB sticks of PC2100 notebook RAM were cheaper, I'd go for it and accept the loss if it turns out that the BIOS won't recognize more than one gig but alas PC2100 RAM is still pretty pricey.

I keep being tempted by a new notebook but Vista isn't a route I'm ready to take - I played with a freshly booted notebook with 2GB of RAM and Vista Ultimate installed and after boot only 800 MB of RAM were free. I actually bought almost the identical machine (identically spec'd RAM, harddrive and CPU) at Christmas with XP Media Centre preinstalled and returned it (buyer's remorse - kicking myself now) and right after boot it reporting well over 1.5GB free RAM. Discouraging...

ljbirns:
I have 1.2 GB on my XP laptop.  I just bought my wife a new laptop ( old one died )
2 GB running Vista Premium Home..

f0dder:
It's because the 4GB limit is the maximum of all memory. That includes a bit for system stuff and the graphics card memory. And my graphics card has 512MB.
-katykaty (September 17, 2007, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wrooooong :) - you just need to make sure the system is running in PAE mode, which should be the default for systems supporting x86-64/NX bit (Data Execution Prevention). But as usual, Microsoft is of course imposing artificial limitations on how much physical memory is supported (see the table at the end of the above link) just to do market segmenting, those bastards.

Carol Haynes:
Quite PAE allows NT to address up to 32Gb of memory - they have just imposed the arbitrary limit in XP at 4Gb!

katykaty:
It's because the 4GB limit is the maximum of all memory. That includes a bit for system stuff and the graphics card memory. And my graphics card has 512MB.
-katykaty (September 17, 2007, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
Wrooooong :) - you just need to make sure the system is running in PAE mode, which should be the default for systems supporting x86-64/NX bit (Data Execution Prevention). But as usual, Microsoft is of course imposing artificial limitations on how much physical memory is supported (see the table at the end of the above link) just to do market segmenting, those bastards.

-f0dder (September 18, 2007, 03:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ah, I see.

I've done a bit of Googling and decided that the caveats that come with turning on PAE don't justify the benefits, so I'm going to stick with what I've got just for the sake of £15 worth of memory.

Thanks for the pointers though - I hope someone else reading can make use of that.

I remember scrimping and saving the pennies for my first PC, and having that gnawing feeling that I was wasting my money getting a 40MB (yes, MB) hard disk. And now I'm losing 20 times that amount of memory and I'm just 'yeah, whatever'  :o

:D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version