ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How much RAM do you have on your PC?

(1/16) > >>

masu:
How much RAM do you have on your PC?

Personally I have 1GB and I am not sure it is enough and if I should upgrade to 2GB?

Grorgy:
i got 760 mb on my celeron 1.5 laptop, would gave got more but its too expensive, or was when i got it, but going from 512 to 760 made a big difference.  On my desk i just went from 1 to 2gb of ram.  Its a dual core amd and the extra RAM has made a noticeable difference in performance once up and running, booting is still a bit slow but ya cant have everything and we are only talking a minute or 2 at most for the whole process anyway

icekin:
I have 512 MB on my main Windows XP machine and my other one has only 256 MB and runs Debian. But I guess it depends on your needs and what type of user you are. I run very low resource programs (e.g. K-Meleon, uTorrent, xplorer2 etc.) But if I used Firefox, Azureus and Directory Opus to do the same things, I would definitely need 1 GB to work comfortably.

If you use CAD or multimedia programs like those by Adobe, 2 GB is nice to have especially if you run many applications at once. I would advise running SystrayMeter (http://88.191.26.34/computers_are_fun/index.php/systraymeter/) for a few days and observing your RAM usage. If you find the RAM meter in the red too often, consider upgrading. Otherwise, don't bother.

Carol Haynes:
Win XP Pro SP2 - 2Gb, mainly because I run PhotoShop and Video apps.

mouser:
i have 4gb.  from what i understand, upgrading your memory (to at least 2gb) is probably one of the most cost-effective ways to improve your pc.  going from 1gb to 2gb is probably better bang for the buck than buying a new cpu or anything else.

after 2gb or so then you are going to start entering the area of quickly diminishing returns, but going from 1gb to 2gb is a no brainer -- do it.  you'll notice the difference when working with or switching between big programs.  browsers eat a ton of memory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version