I had a rant
about this issue earlier. Unfortunately, it's in Turkish. And saying Google translate sucks in Turkish to English translations would be a compliment.
I can perhaps put up a quick summary of the points I consider evil about flash:
1. Web is about accessing information. Flash does not facilitate access to information. Its primary function is providing bells and whistles.
2. Flash sites, with few exceptions, are slow and bandwidth-consuming. Loading a full site for getting just a phone number is torture. Some flash designers can overcome this issue by dividing the sites into individually loaded segments, but they are rather in a very small minority.
4. Text on flash sites are not indexed in search engines. Why on earth would someone put a text on the web, and not want it to appear on google? That I don't know.
5. Flash sites disable or alter some basic functions of your browser. For instance, back and forward buttons do not work in the way you'd expect. Middle and right mouse buttons would cease to exist for all practical purposes. You use CTRL-F to search for a phrase on a page? Good luck with that.
6. Fixed fonts on flash sites designed by 20-something web designers are usually a torture tool against older people. Compare CTRL-NumPadPlus on HTML and flash sites.
7. Flash sites eat up more ram and cpu cycles than necessary to accomplish their functions. Especially older computers suffer from excessive resource consumption of flash sites. And also in this vein, more cpu cycles=more carbon footprint... Negligibly small for a single site you might say, but on the whole is it necessary to burn more electricity for just an alternative way of presenting data?
8. Smartphones in general and iphone in particular are helpless at flash pages.
9. Flash sites are noisy. I have winamp to play sounds on my computer. I don't want firefox, excel, 3ds max, filezilla or notepad2 to make noise, to play music, or to make any sound at all, except for cases I specifically ask them to. Yes those shitty intro pages are just pure evil.
10. Flash sites make it impossible to customize the look of pages using Greasemonkey scripts or add-ons like Customize Your Web
What to do then? First, use Flashblock
. Another happy add-on in this respect is YesScript
Secondly, despise flash sites publicly. In the counter-enlightenment era we live in, people are not encouraged to use their brains much, so you will have to make
them aware to the fact that Flash is not a natural occurence, and it is avoidable evil.Edited point 7 a bit, with the carbon footprint issue.