Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater. \nAlbert Einstein As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain; and as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality. \nAlbert Einstein Equations are more important to me, because politics is for the present, but an equation is something for eternity. \nAlbert Einstein The whole is more than the sum of its parts. \nAristotle Marriage is like pi - natural, irrational, and very important. \nLisa Hoffman If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. \nAlbert Einstein The hardest thing in the world to understand is the income tax. \nAlbert Einstein Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them, they translate it into their own language, and forthwith it means something entirely different. \nJohann Wolfgang von Goethe Black holes are where God divided by zero. \nSteven Wright Do not worry about your difficulties in mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater.” – Albert Einstein “The study of mathematics, like the Nile, begins in minuteness but ends in magnificence.” – Charles Caleb Colton “Without mathematics, there’s nothing you can do. Everything around you is mathematics. Everything around you is numbers.” – Shakuntala Devi “In mathematics the art of proposing a question must be held of higher value than solving it.” – Georg Ferdinand Ludwig Philipp Cantor “The only way to learn mathematics is to do mathematics.” – Paul Halmos “Obvious is the most dangerous word in mathematics.” – Eric Temple Bell “Mathematics is the music of reason.” – James Joseph Sylvester “You don’t have to be a mathematician to have a feel for numbers.” – John Forbes Nash, Jr. “Life is a math equation. In order to gain the most, you have to know how to convert negatives into positives.” – Anonymous “Arithmetic is being able to count up to twenty without taking off your shoes.” – Mickey Mouse “It is clear that the chief end of mathematical study must be to make the students think.” – John Wesley Young “One of the endlessly alluring aspects of mathematics is that its thorniest paradoxes have a way of blooming into beautiful theories.” – Philip J Davis “Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics.” – Dean Schlicter “Just because we can’t find a solution it doesn’t mean that there isn’t one.” – Andrew Wiles “Mathematics is the gate and key to science.” – Roger Bacon “Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding.” – William Paul Thurston “There should be no such thing as boring mathematics.” – Edsger Dijkstra “Nature is written in mathematical language.” – Galileo Galilei “Mathematics is a language.” – Josiah Willard Gibbs “Mathematics is, in its way, the poetry of logical ideas.” – Albert Einstein “Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” – Dr. Seuss “It’s fine to work on any problem, so long as it generates interesting mathematics along the way – even if you don’t solve it at the end of the day.” – Andrew Wiles “If you stop at general math, then you will only make general money.” – Snoop Dogg “Mathematics is the most beautiful and most powerful creation of the human spirit.” – Stefan Banach “Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why.” – Bernard Baruch "If I have seen farther than other men, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." \n — Isaac Newton "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders." \n — Hal Abelson "A mathematician is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat which isn't there." \n — Charles Darwin \n (quoted by Jaime Escalante in the film, STAND and DELIVER) "Do not worry too much about your difficulties in mathematics, I can assure you that mine are still greater." \n — Albert Einstein "The reading of all good books is like a conversation with the finest people of past centuries." \n — Descartes "It is easier to square a circle than to get round a mathematician." \n — de Morgan "Mathematicians are like Frenchmen: whatever you say to them they translate into their own language and forthwith it is something entirely different." \n — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe "How happy the lot of the mathematician. \n He is judged solely by his peers, and the standard \n is so high that no colleague or rival can ever win \n a reputation he does not deserve." \n — W.H. Auden "Mathematics is written for mathematicians." \n — Copernicus "Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom." \n — Albert Einstein "The mathematician has reached the highest rung on the ladder of human thought." \n — Havelock Ellis "The life of a mathematician is dominated by an insatiable curiosity, a desire bordering on passion to solve the problems he is studying." \n — Jean Dieudonne "I am too good for philosophy and not good enough for physics. Mathematics is in between." \n — George Polya "All mathematicians share ... a sense of amazement over the infinite depth and the mysterious beauty and usefulness of mathematics." \n — Martin Gardner "Millions saw the apple fall, but Newton asked why." \n — Bernard Baruch "Physicists defer only to mathematicians, and mathematicians defer only to God." "Biologists think they are biochemists, \n Biochemists think they are Physical Chemists, \n Physical Chemists think they are Physicists, \n Physicists think they are Gods, \n And God thinks he is a Mathematician." "Old mathematicians never die; they just become angles." "Before beginning [to try to prove Fermat's Last Theorem] \n I should have to put in three years of intensive study, \n and I haven't that much time to squander on a probable failure." \n — David Hilbert "I have no particular talent. I am only inquisitive." \n — Albert Einstein "The discoveries of Newton have done more for England and for the race, than has been done by whole dynasties of British monarchs." \n — Thomas Hill "Truth is much too complicated to allow anything but approximations." \n — John von Neumann "With me everything turns into mathematics." \n — Descartes "One should always generalize." \n — Carl Jacobi "We think in generalities, but we live in details." \n — Alfred North Whitehead "You know we all became mathematicians for the same reason: we were lazy." \n — Max Rosenlicht "A mathematician's reputation rests on the number of bad proofs he has given." \n — A. S. Besicovitch "The sacred writings excepted, no Greek has been so much read and so variously translated as Euclid." \n — Augustus De Morgan "Euler — The unsurpassed master of analytic invention." \n — Richard Courant "Nature and nature's laws lay hid in the night; God said, 'Let Newton be' and all was light." \ — Alexander Pope "Newton was the greatest genius that ever existed, and the most fortunate, for we cannot find more than once a system of the world to establish." \n — Joseph-Louis Lagrange "A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems." \n — Paul Erdos "Read Euler: he is our master in everything." \n — Pierre-Simon de Laplace Charlie Chaplin once allegedly said to Albert Einstein: "The people applaud me because everyone understands me, and they applaud you because no one understands you." "When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." \n — Albert Einstein "It has been said that Newton was born in the same year that Galileo died because God wanted someone of that caliber on Earth at all times." "The difference between an introvert mathematician and an extrovert mathematicians is: An introvert mathematician looks at his shoes while talking to you. An extrovert mathematician looks at your shoes." "The reason that every major university maintains a department of mathematics is that it is cheaper to do this than to institutionalize all those people."