ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Mac OS X Leopard - All show and no go, or is it worth a try?

(1/4) > >>

wreckedcarzz:
Hi all,

I was able to have a semi-positive (more or less confusing) experience with a Macbook G4 running Tiger a few days ago, and about 2 months ago I was also on a Panther iMac. With the upcoming release of Leopard, I must ask:

Is it worth a go?

I am a die-hard Windows fan. Linux is cool, and has its pros and cons, but I am an Apple hater. But, to be honest, I am interested. I have been using iTunes for the last year and also have been using Safari, and as much as I hate to say it, I am impressed.

Is it worth it to setup a dual-boot Windows-Mac computer? Any Mac-savvy people here at DC (come out, we know your here :P)?

I have been wanting to try it full-on for a while now, just the single button mouse thing gets to me ;D

Opinions, anyone?

EDIT: This doesn't inspire confidence, though...(see attached screenshot)

justice:
Multiple mouse button has been part of Mac OS 9 and bigger AFAIk, it's just Apple until recently have always chosen to supply a single button mouse. Any usb mouse from your local hardware retailer with multiple buttons, scrollwheels etc will work just fine.

I would be trying out a mac if I could afford one. (it's not so much dearer than a new pc with all new licenses, but it is dearer then upgrading my current pc keeping all the licences).

Also all new macs runs XP fine and very fast, just Vista is not supported yet (can't remember if this works in Leopard, might do)

Laughing Man:
Maybe your quicktime is outdated? Anyway, I think Vista is supported, but Microsoft wants you to use Vista Ultimate if your going run it in Parallels or what not.

I'm not Mac savvy though. I'm a primary Linux user now lol. But I've taken features from both Windows and Mac and incorporated it into my Linux install. :)

wreckedcarzz:
I just installed Quicktime about 30 mins before taking that picture though ;D

I want to take a Windows Vista PC and dual boot it with Mac, not run Windows on Parallels. I can't afford a Mac anytime soon ($1500 vs my $700 PC).

Anyways, why Vista Ultimate? I am helping a family friend get Vista Home Basic running on Parallels, and I didn't see any requirement for Vista Ultimate. :-\ :tellme:

Darwin:
Brandon - which method are you thinking of using to run OS-X on your Windows machine? I ask because there are at least two or three methods that I am aware of (so that's interesting in and of itself) AND there is an as yet unresolved (AFAIK) debate about the legality of doing so...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version