ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Encrypt single file?

(1/4) > >>

jgpaiva:
Hello there... Here i seek the immense knowledge of the people of DC :)

I'm looking for a program that is command line, small, and can encrypt files safelly.
There are inumerous options in google, but i'm looking for an already-tested/safe alternative.

Thanks!

Lashiec:
You hit the jackpot then :D. Dariusz Stanislawek has all these tiny programs, with a bunch of them focused in file encryption. All of them are portable, they use encryption standards, and they're recommended by people like Gizmo. I tried most of them in the past, and they worked like a charm. The only problem is choosing one, so pick your poison, but I'd go for dsCrypt, which uses AES, and comes both in GUI and commandline versions.

Edvard:
Well, Windows 2000 on up has a handy little utility called cipher.exe.
If you like open source, there's Animesh Srivastava's Crypt.

That's all I have...

jgpaiva:
Damn, those are cool!
But apparently, all of those require that the key is in an external file.. I wanted to pass the key as a command line argument :(
(i guess that isn't very safe, is it?)

The idea was to make an alias action for farr that would encrypt files, but now that i come to think about it, maybe it'd be a job more suited for a plugin than an alias.

Lashiec:
Not really. As you can see, dsCrypt accept both methods.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version