ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How will the Earth end?

<< < (13/19) > >>

Davidtheo:

David, you live in China, a country where they actually do enforce a one-child policy--to the extent of killing any child unfortunate enough to come after the first.

That's called genocide.

There is no overpopulation problem. There is a lot of room for all of us.
-Deozaan (December 17, 2008, 03:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Deozaan please get your facts right, They do not kill the child they fine the parents 10,000 RMB, Killing a child in China is call murder and anyone doing it goes to jail.

nosh:
Overpopulation is not so much about room as it is about resources, or the lack thereof. My maid, who barely makes enough to give one child a decent life has decided to go ahead and have four children. The thinking is, the more kids you have the more people you'll have earning for the family. As an Indian I am in complete admiration of the Chinese one child policy and their overall disciplined society coz I witness firsthand the consequences of not having stringent population control in a developing country.

4wd:
The only way nature could balance out on this planet is to arbitrarily wipe out 90%of human beings  but even then there would be enough remaining idiots who didn't get the message and just proceed as if they were kids let loose in a candy store.

--- End quote ---
But of course you're not one of the "90%" are you, being smarter than the rest of us idiots?
Because you're too enlightened to be wiped out with the other virii.
-Cpilot (December 16, 2008, 11:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, I wouldn't care either way........at least any problems I had would be over ;)

And did I at any point name any one, any race, any creed, any religion as being idiots ?

I don't count myself in either camp simply because I just don't care enough to consider it worthwhile.

Cpilot:
Wow, what an enlightened discussion, these aren't really new ideas ya know.
What's being discussed here is just plain old fashion eugenics, the philosophy advocated by Francis Galton, H. G. Wells, Margaret Sanger and others and put in to practice during WWII.
You're discussing who is fit to populate this planet based on environmental criteria but in reality it's the same old song.
I wonder how short the walk will be from controlling reproduction to actively euthanizing those who drain the resources of the planet this time?

Lashiec:
There are already some people out there who won't have children because of the "environment".
Meet the women who won't have babies - because they're not eco friendly
-Cpilot (December 16, 2008, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

o_O, that's something new. I wonder if it would not be better for everyone, including these women, to adopt children that are already born, and being raised in orphanages around the world. The "carbon footprint" of these kids is already there, but they would be able to provide them a better life while also teaching them how to maintain a sustainable lifestyle. Everyone wins, and despite that radical choice, by reading the article these couples look like just guys who like to maintain a environmentally conscious lifestyle and could be excellent parents able to give a healthy education to these kids.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version