ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Left-handed help needed !

<< < (3/4) > >>

joiwind:
Thanks guys for all the kind words and excellent council. I obviously can't reply to every point made but I really appreciate it all.

I wouldn't wish this on anyone in spite of the positive side : it does make you realise how we take things for granted, just blithely going along as if nothing will ever change and suddenly everything does.

Many thanks.

app103:
I live with a left handed person, and I am thinking of all the left-handed gadgets we might own, and I can only think of 2: a pie cutter and a baseball glove.

And something tells me that you won't be playing baseball for awhile.

The pie cutter isn't a lefty one, specifically...it's ambidextrous. It has a serrated edge on both sides, instead of just the side for righties.

I think the bigger problem that you have is finding things for one-handed operation. Or operation by someone that has a loss of co-ordination. (you are dealing with both!)

One of the toughest things to do with one hand is open a jar. And there aren't too many things that I can think of that can frustrate a person and make them feel helpless as quickly as not being able to open a jar when they want to get in it.

That's where this will come in handy:

http://www.amazon.com/EZ-Off-Jar-Opener/dp/B000X6K9J8/

Don't use the included peel and stick tape to mount it. Get someone to put it up with screws, for you, so it stays put.

You'll love this thing long after your wrist is healed.  :D

You might also want to get an electric toothbrush, because the loss of co-ordination is also a loss of effectiveness, and your teeth shouldn't rot while you are healing.

app103:
One-Handed in a Two-Handed World: Your Complete Guide to Managing Single-Handedly

Tommye-Karen Mayer survived a stroke at the age of 23 and has been managing single-handedly in a two-handed world for three decades. After a period of wondering whether she would ever again live independently, she began developing a system for how to accomplish a wide range of everyday activities of daily living one-handedly — dressing, eating, cooking, doing household chores, traveling, and much more.

One-Handed in a Two-Handed World is known as the "bible" for occupational therapists and other healthcare and rehabilitation professionals who work with patients who are temporarily or permanently one-handed. This is the only book of practical advice for managing activities of daily living one-handedly. It may be used by individuals who have experienced strokes or traumatic brain injury, had shoulder surgery, were born without an arm or hand, need to rest an arm for repetitive strain injuries, or have lost the use of an arm or hand as the result of injury.

It is a practical guide to a wide variety of useful devices and technology, and provides step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish each task discussed. Numerous figures show useful tools to make the tasks easier.
--- End quote ---

http://www.amazon.com/One-Handed-Two-Handed-World-Complete-Single-Handedly/dp/0982321988/

You can pre-order the latest edition from Amazon...or if you don't want to wait, get the older one here: http://www.dynamic-living.com/product/onehanded-in-a-twohanded-world/ (this site also sells some gadgets you might find handy)

joiwind:
Thanks app for all that - good stuff.

pilgrim:
I have never looked on this board before and this thread caught my attention.

After a lifetime of being right-handed I lost most of the use of my right arm and hand (permanently) 7 years ago.

I have looked into lots of different advice and information about how to do things left-handed and in my case came to two conclusions:
1. I will never be as dextrous with my left hand as I was with my right.
2. Like everything else, what works for some does not work for others.

I manage to do most of what I need to do albeit in a much longer time than before, I even managed to build a new computer last year although it took me 2 hours just to fit the CPU cooler.
If I have an annoyance where computers are concerned it is a Netbook with the FN key over to the left and most of the keys that work with it over to the right.

joiwind,

Hopefully by the time you have worked out your own tips and tricks you will no longer need them.

Best wishes.

Pilgrim.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version