ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Main hard drive in my PC died today suddenly

<< < (8/8)

wraith808:
Sorry about your issues with Acronis- I know they can be really terrible when it happens when you need it.  But I've *never* had it fail me in 8 years or so of using it- just figured I'd offer a contrasting opinion...

(I also use a tiered backup system... I have a copy on a NAS and online in addition to the acronis backups.  A bit paranoid... maybe... :))

db90h:
I would agree that Acronis surely works fine most all the time.

(I also use a tiered backup system... I have a copy on a NAS and online in addition to the acronis backups.  A bit paranoid... maybe... :))
-wraith808 (February 09, 2012, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not paranoid at all ;). You've learned (or reasoned), as I have, that backups themselves need backups, lol. The one other thing I'd like to caution people about is making sure your backups are secure, but not so secure that you can't unlock them. In other words, use a password, encrypt, but don't lose your password (or key)! It must be backed up too. Also, account for the possibility of head injury, don't rely only on your brain. As you age, you get more forgetful, and might not remember a password you set 5 years ago ;o.

cranioscopical:
As you age, you get more forgetful, and might not remember a password you set 5 years ago-db90h (February 09, 2012, 08:51 AM)
--- End quote ---
Or five minutes  ;D

tomos:

^ or move machines and realise that your backup programme - which remembers the password - is on the old (dead) one...
 :-[ :P

barney:
I'm ba-a-a-ack.

Barely.

Recap:
I replaced the Dell drive, ran Acronis from a USB {stick|key|whatchamacallit}.  Acronis ran.  Kinda.  But it didn't work as an image restore.  And that's where/when I left DC.

I have a USB to IDE & SATA rig with power supply cables for various HD configurations.  I hooked the old, 'bout to fail, drive to that.  Guess what?  HDS reads that drive as perfect!  Estimated life over 1,000 days  :huh:.  This is the same drive that was in imminent fail mode, right  :tellme:?  So, now I know that HDS is subject to environmental distortion  :o.

I managed to pull data manually from that drive to the other laptop that is Internet enabled (my other boxes are not allowed to see the Web).  Saved all my htdocs directories.  Moved all my MySQL data.  So far, so good  :Thmbsup:.  Well, until I tried to run localhost  :down:.  Constant connection resets, can't run any of my development stuff.  On top of that, while SQLYog can read all my MySQL files, Database Workbench 4 - in test - cannot connect, "Host hostname not allowed to connect to this MySQL server."

I've totally - ? - disabled UAC, but no juice.  Can't run local Web files, cannot reliably read databases.  All because an industry-standard imaging system wouldn't work.  (For those that know me, be prepared for a slate of In search of ...s)  Oh, yeah, I used both localhost and 127.0.0.1 to try to access htdocs, and nothing's wrong with my hosts file.

To be fair, Acronis did restore some stuff that was straight backup, not disk image.  But I can no longer trust it.  Looks as though I'll have to go back to trying to get CloneZilla to work  :-\.

So, four (4) days totally down, another three (3) to get misc. software working.  This may not have been my ultimate week in Hell, but it ranks right up there in the top three (3)  :P.

A bit paranoid... maybe... :))
-wraith808 (February 09, 2012, 08:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reminds me of a very old joke.  A king of times agone was discussing his personal protection/safety with his vizier.  When the vizier gave him that glance askance, the king said, "Oh, I know I'm paranoid.  My only concern is whether I'm paranoid enough?"

I know my paranoia just increased  :P.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version