ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: activate Windows (7) mapped network drives

<< < (5/5)

Stoic Joker:
Also +1 w/4wd when he recommends using UNC. Mapped network drives can be fussy at the best of times. And with the advent of ActiveDirectory and their new security model, Microsoft now recommends that you use UNC for accessing network shares rather than mapped drives.-40hz (April 23, 2013, 06:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

That strikes me as quite odd, considering a single GP mapped drive letter to a domain DFS root makes a myriad of problems vanish instantly. Why would anyone want to go back to the administrative overhead of tending multiple (saved UNC) shortcuts...it strikes me as the worst of both worlds.
-Stoic Joker (April 23, 2013, 06:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

The time I called MSoft's tech support with a similar issue I was told mapped drives were considered "legacy" and were kept mostly for compatibility reasons. UNC and FQDNs were where it was going. So I assumed that was MSoft's official position rather than just the tech's opinion - but maybe it was? Have you heard otherwise?-40hz (April 23, 2013, 07:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd have to go with Tech's Opinion...if only from an administrative stand point. Walking a (stereotypical...) end user through \\anything is painfully time consuming. But telling them to go to (GP initiated mapped) drive X: and clicking on whatever-they-lookin-for is freaking cake...especially if you can remotely stuff any DFS link into said target before they get there..

I ain't givin' that up without a fight. ;)

At this point I think the issue is likely being caused by a group policy setting.

Usually when you're having trouble connecting to a share it's caused by an encryption or other security setting. You'll run into that problem with Win7 connections to old Win2K servers sometimes.

Take a look at the connection specs and details on your server. If you gave an old version if Samba, the increased security Win7 looks for might be the problem.-40hz (April 23, 2013, 11:18 AM)
--- End quote ---

LM/NTLM vs. NTLMv2? There was mention of that in one of the articles a ran across in a quick google (For Mapped Drive Red X), it also stated that a VB script (and I suspect a .cmd) would execute more reliably than a standard batch file would.

40hz:

I ain't givin' that up without a fight. ;) -Stoic Joker (April 23, 2013, 05:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

Don't blame ya - and for exactly the reasons you've given. ;D It is easier.

Especially when you discover that a share on a server named SVF01 sometimes works when it's called: \\SVF01\share - and sometimes only when it's called: \\SFV01.internal.mycompany.com\share - and this within the same domain depending on which client machine you're on!

Drives me nuts every time... :-\

LM/NTLM vs. NTLMv2? There was mention of that in one of the articles a ran across in a quick google (For Mapped Drive Red X), it also stated that a VB script (and I suspect a .cmd) would execute more reliably than a standard batch file would.

--- End quote ---

It had something to do with that. You needed to set the DWORD LmCompatibilityLevel (in HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa) equal to "1" [See here.] Basically you needed to dumb down the default authentication and session security in Win7 so it wouldn't insist on NTLMv2. This applied when using old Win2k servers as well as when connecting to some Samba boxes.

But there were also two related policy settings that needed to be adjusted depending on which version of the Win desktop you were running. There was one for 32-bit and two for 64-bit. Got it in my KB somewhere but I can find it just right now.

Now where did I file the notes about those GPO changes? :huh:

4wd:
I'm a little bit lost how to use this, ....-Losdollos (April 23, 2013, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

For Onenote, instead of specifying the directory as Y:\ you'd specify it as \\Diskstation\office - Onenote should happily sync with that instead.  I don't use MS Office so maybe someone else can say exactly what you do.

I have been poking around, but if I don't have x:\ or y:\, then how do I select the directory on the NAS to move my files to, in Totalcommander?
--- End quote ---

Not sure about TC but in Directory Opus I can just specify a button that is the directory I want, eg.

The button marked LAN will open three different remote shares depending on which mouse button I press:

Sue-PC = \\192.168.0.210        (or \\SUE-PC)
SABnzbd = \\192.168.0.208      (or \\SABNZBD)
WDLXTV = \\192.168.0.235      (or \\WDTVLIVE)

I would think that TC would allow you add drive buttons for specific destinations and then you can just use:

\\Diskstation\office
\\Diskstation\media

etc. and just label the buttons as you want.

questorfla:
I would have thought Skwire's "net use" would be the solution.  But if a manual double click on multiple drives works for what you need, you could record a script using ghost mouse to do exactly that on every boot.  Just a thought

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version