ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How hot is too hot? Overclocking thoughts...

<< < (4/5) > >>

Deozaan:
Just be careful with how much you overclock your GPU. The GPU itself can withstand high temperatures, but other components on it may not.

I learned that the hard way when my GPU fan stopped spinning and melted off my GPU. The GPU still works, but obviously wouldn't last very long without another fan blowing on it.

Carol Haynes:
well im RLLY woried now, my CPU,RAM and GPU all run at over 90C:S
-yotta (May 21, 2008, 03:36 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm - despite what I wrote that does seem a bit high  :tellme:

Take the side of your box and blow a large desk fan into it on full power and see if the temperatures drop. Also check to make sure all your fans are running properly.

One other thing you might want to check is that all the fans are installed the correct way round. Generally speaking you want air to be sucked inat the front of the case and all other fans suck air out. Check on the side of the fans for the flow direction arrow.

wreckedcarzz:
I have a fan jury-rigged to cool my PCI/PCIe slots by holding onto the 4 pin power cable that goes to my USB card in my PCIe 1x slot. The bad part is that if the fan does stop on my GPU, and stuff starts melting, it hits not only my $40 USB card, but my $150 X-Fi card and my $110 TV Tuner card. :tellme:

There is also a fan below the aforementioned cards, on top of the PSU, helping the PSU push air out of the case. But that doesn't do much...

I might take my 2 leftover 120mm fans and see if I can't add them into the setup with some 4 pin -> fan connectors I have. :-\

@yotta: Yes, that is way too hot for normal usage - take a fan (you can get one at the local drug store for $10) and blast the highest volume of air you can into the case, and monitor the temps. I used to do this with my undersized eMachines case (everything fit, but it was too small and the heat just kind of snowballed). You might want consider a new case (preferably with a lot of fan holders).

Lashiec:
The bad part is that if the fan does stop on my GPU, and stuff starts melting, it hits not only my $40 USB card, but my $150 X-Fi card and my $110 TV Tuner card. :tellme:
-wreckedcarzz (May 22, 2008, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Buy cheaper cards and use the "deluxe" ones on Sundays ;D

Armando:
 ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version