ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What the hell is OpenCandy?

<< < (55/99) > >>

Renegade:
Ok, so now OC is also being bundled in with apps you already paid for?
-40hz (March 31, 2011, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

In all fairness, it's the demo/trial installer. Buy they are one and the same. You just run your .reg key to license it.

Do you get paid the same for recommending any of these softwares or does it depend on the advertiser's bid?
-PhilB66 (March 31, 2011, 03:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

Pay varies by title, but I couldn't tell you much about that. I really need to get more first hand experience under my belt before I can talk about payment stuff.

But, now that I released it publicly (about a day ago), I am getting some stats rolling in. (Put up one graphic already at Cynic.me.)

Incidentally, the press release is here:

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/3/prweb8252577.htm

:)

40hz:
On topic, I just went to download an update for Fruity Studio, and...-Renegade (March 30, 2011, 09:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Ok, so now OC is also being bundled in with apps you already paid for?-40hz (March 31, 2011, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
That made me raise my brows as well.

As did the name "Fruity Studio" - didn't it use to be FruityLoops? Another of those "Oh, but the lifetime license isn't for <newname>, it was for <oldname>" tactics?
-f0dder (March 31, 2011, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes indeed. That's exactly what FL did.

Very similar to the mindset which insists that being paid to recommend a product is not the same thing as advertising it... ;D

Orwell talked about that form of self-hypnosis in his novel 1984. He called it doublethink:

To know and not to know, to be conscious of complete truthfulness while telling carefully constructed lies, to hold simultaneously two opinions which cancelled out, knowing them to be contradictory and believing in both of them, to use logic against logic, to repudiate morality while laying claim to it, to believe that democracy was impossible and that the Party was the guardian of democracy, to forget, whatever it was necessary to forget, then to draw it back into memory again at the moment when it was needed, and then promptly to forget it again, and above all, to apply the same process to the process itself -- that was the ultimate subtlety; consciously to induce unconsciousness, and then, once again, to become unconscious of the act of hypnosis you had just performed. Even to understand the word 'doublethink' involved the use of doublethink.
--- End quote ---

8)

Eóin:
"Oh, but the lifetime license isn't for <newname>, it was for <oldname>" tactics?
-f0dder (March 31, 2011, 04:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Actually a friend bought FL cheap on a special promotion years ago. The lifetime license included the upgrade to Studio. They really do look after their customers  :Thmbsup:

wraith808:
What is commendable, however, is that they clearly call attention to the fact they are using it right on the download page. Which is more than most publishers are doing. And which is all that 90% of the people who are objecting to OC are asking for: Being told - up front - that it is going to be installed.

Of course, providing the user with notification and an easily selectable option to not have it load at all when you run the installer would be nice...but the makers of OC seem to be quietly adamant that that is not going to happen.
-40hz (March 31, 2011, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing is being installed though, unless you install the application in question, right?  And why should that be different than everything else?  It seems to me that they're being held to a different/higher standard based on what people assume that OC is/does...

cmpm:
I don't see where any one is wanting a different/higher standard for OC.
Just more up front about it, that it will connect to the net to get it's .dll and whatever else it gets, during the install of the primary program that you picked.

I'm certainly for Renegade and more to make money.
He has put the work into the program, and giving it free.

By teaming up with OC, there is some possible income, without too much trouble.

Most of the stuff I've installed has had options for other software.
Check boxes for Google Chrome or Bing's Toolbar, or with Flash and others there is McAfee or something to opt-out of.

The difference is that there is no opt out of OC when installing.
And I think the more upfront OC is, the more it will be accepted.
But that is not the route they are taking yet.
Leaving it to Renegade or other developers to post the fact of OC included.

Like I said before, I don't know enough to judge OC's possible security problems.
But anything that connects to the net, is cause for looking in to what it's doing.
And continuing to monitor any and all changes to what it loads when connected.
This info should be in an easy to understand form, and not have to study OC's entire site.

Yes, this is what it does-as drapps posted

http://www.opencandy.com/what-information-does-opencandy-collect/

What else is it capable of and info on changes need to be upfront as well.
It is advertisement, so what, we get that all the time. I block all I can while others don't mind.

OC tries to park in my computer, that is different then other advertisement.
So it should be monitored imho. It's not just a cookie Ccleaner can kill.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version