ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Responsibility in Web Services

<< < (2/4) > >>

Stoic Joker:
(If somebody fails to temporarily cancel delivery) Is the news paper boy culpable for delivering your paper every day you're on vacation? A stack of papers in the driveway is a big red flag.

A flag is a flag, and people need to start taking responsibility for their own actions instead of constantly whining all the time and expecting to be protected from themselves. It's either Common Sense -or- Natural Selection (it's a law) needs to be allowed to run its course.

wraith808:
I'm not talking about protection, though.  If there is something you forget, there's something you forget.  But this is an intentional service.  There's a big difference between driving up an down streets, casing a location, and typing in a location on a web page and getting results.  I'm not talking about protecting people from themselves, I'm talking about not putting the exploit in the open for someone to take advantage of.  If we're talking natural selection for instance, there's a very big difference between an idiot driving along a road at high speed and losing control, and someone knowing he's going to drive at high speed so sabotaging the brakes to make sure he can't slow down on the curve.

I'm definitely against protecting people from their own actions and/or people whinging because they made a mistake and it came back to bite them in the butt.  But this is something different, IMO.

Stoic Joker:
Perhaps, but I look at the "Social Networks" as being no different than being at a party IRL. Say the wrong thing to the right person and it can end badly on several levels. People seem to thing they have an automatic "Safety Sticker" on the interweb because they're (safely...) in their homes. An they're not... Much like any interaction between parties since the beginning of time; one needs to be discreet about how much information they give out and to whom (when & where should be considered also).

The people listed on the site have already announced their whereabouts in a public forum - The site is simply trying to dramatize why that is bad (by putting them all in a group next to a Notice the Fool sign). Now, the fact that this is going on has certainly grabbed our attention and (that was the point) hopefully it should get more then a few people to stop and think about how much is too much information to be broadcasting to the world. :)

wraith808:
But there are better ways to do it- the search based on username and location is the largest part of what I have a problem with.  If they just posted and scrolled it off the page (which they do), I wouldn't have a problem with it as a social awareness project- but to actually allow searches?  And it's a lot different than a party- a party is only a few hundred people, and what are the chances that someone in your circle of friends or their circles being a crook.  Now expand that to the online community- what are the chances that someone there is? (Considering that convicts get cell phones smuggled in, pretty large, I'd say).  Then what is the chance that someone will use this in a negative way?  And you can't really expect to blame it on the person when it happens, can you?

Stoic Joker:
But there are better ways to do it- the search based on username and location is the largest part of what I have a problem with. If they just posted and scrolled it off the page (which they do), I wouldn't have a problem with it as a social awareness project- but to actually allow searches?-wraith808 (February 18, 2010, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---
But that's really the only easy way for (Sheeple) someone to look themselves up to see if their Digital Fly is Down.

And it's a lot different than a party- a party is only a few hundred people, and what are the chances that someone in your circle of friends or their circles being a crook.  Now expand that to the online community- what are the chances that someone there is?
--- End quote ---
(Ya know they say there is one in every crowd...) I'd say it's a 50/50 either way - But I do tend to be a bit cynical... ;)

Then what is the chance that someone will use this in a negative way?
--- End quote ---

I'd say they are identical to the chance of anything on the internet being misused. Which is identical to the chances that imformation gleaned from a book in the public library will be misused.

And you can't really expect to blame it on the person when it happens, can you?
--- End quote ---
Honestly? ...Yes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version