ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Can i upgrade to MS-DOS v6 or v6.22

<< < (2/7) > >>

hulkbuster:
I think you are confused now. Windows XP is Windows Version 5.1.2600. That is NOT the MS-DOS Version. Microsoft stopped running version numbers after Windows 9x/me was discontinued. You do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of Windows
-Josh (June 04, 2010, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can u please rephrase this statement: U do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of windows:
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS:

And u were the only who said  i can upgrade to v6.x, 6.22 etc
Any suggestions ?????????

daddydave:
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS [Windows]
--- End quote ---

That's correct. They don't work in Windows 7 either. So you don't actually have a problem, unless there is a specific function you need that the older commands provided and you need a modern day equivalent.

As a former DOS 2 user, I just want to clarify, every Microsoft operating system ever has removed older dangerous commands and added new commands.

Josh:
I think you are confused now. Windows XP is Windows Version 5.1.2600. That is NOT the MS-DOS Version. Microsoft stopped running version numbers after Windows 9x/me was discontinued. You do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of Windows
-Josh (June 04, 2010, 12:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
Can u please rephrase this statement: U do not need to upgrade DOS in any version of windows:
Because some cmd line available for v 6.22 like APPEND,ASSIGN etc etc does not run in my version of DOS:

And u were the only who said  i can upgrade to v6.x, 6.22 etc
-hulkbuster (June 05, 2010, 08:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That is when I thought you were talking about the actual MS-DOS 5 product, not the COMMAND PROMPT included in Windows XP. You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows. The commands you are looking for, as described above, have been deprecated (discontinued) for good reasons.

hulkbuster:
That is when I thought you were talking about the actual MS-DOS 5 product, not the COMMAND PROMPT included in Windows XP. You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows. The commands you are looking for, as described above, have been deprecated (discontinued) for good reasons.
-Josh (June 05, 2010, 08:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

i m really confused i understood the part : You CANNOT "upgrade" the command prompt in any version of Windows and every Microsoft operating system ever has removed older dangerous commands and added new commands.

I dont think the APPEND and ASSIGN are useless cmd line, and how does upgrading DOS v5 to v6.22 fit here.
Since their r no setup.exe, i believe  it is installed in HDD and what about full MS-DOS 6.22 Upgrade product.
What does that mean,,,,i know people scratching their heads for years just to install dos v6.22 .???

daddydave:
I dont think the APPEND and ASSIGN are useless cmd line
-hulkbuster (June 05, 2010, 09:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

You should take that up with Microsoft then. Maybe they will write a custom version of DOS just for you.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version