ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for a new Anti-Virus and need you guys to help!

<< < (5/5)

superboyac:
My current favorite is BitDefender. Either the "free for personal" or paid-for Pro.

I use the pro version myself, supplemented by occasional on-demand scans with Malwarebytes Antimalware and/or Super Antimalware.

This trio (along with staying current with Windows Update) seems to catch everything that's catch-able so far (knock wood).
-40hz (November 13, 2014, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've been using the bitdefender version based on your recommendation for a couple of months now.  It's good.  My only complaints so far have been:
--you must give a *working* email for the program to not nag you; even the paid-for version.
--it's chinese
--sometimes it can be a little too simplistic.  as in, in their effort to make it very easy to use, some of the more powerful options are in odd places.

but so far so good.  I can't think of another av program I prefer at this point.  I used to be a kaspersky guy years ago, but fell out of favor quickly.

40hz:
I've been using the bitdefender version based on your recommendation for a couple of months now.  It's good.  My only complaints so far have been:
--you must give a *working* email for the program to not nag you; even the paid-for version.
-superboyac (November 13, 2014, 01:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Do what I do. Set up an @live or @gmail account purely for all those pesky people that insist on a valid e-mail address. Open it at least once a month to keep it active. Periodically trash everything in it except for registration acknowledgements, license keys, and other genuinely useful messages. End of problem. No worries.

--it's chinese
--- End quote ---

Is it really any more dangerous coming from a non-American developer than an un-American ;) one? Or really any other nationality these days? They all seem to be in bed with their respective government's spy & surveillance agencies - with our own biggies leading the stampede.

--sometimes it can be a little too simplistic.  as in, in their effort to make it very easy to use, some of the more powerful options are in odd places.
--- End quote ---

Good point. The pro version has a more traditional dashboard like all the other majors do. The freebie control panel is rather simplistic. But you can still get to pretty much anything you need if you have to.

:) :Thmbsup:

superboyac:
I've been using the bitdefender version based on your recommendation for a couple of months now.  It's good.  My only complaints so far have been:
--- End quote ---

Do what I do. Set up an @live or @gmail account purely for all those pesky people that insist on a valid e-mail address. Open it at least once a month to keep it active. Periodically trash everything in it except for registration acknowledgements, license keys, and other genuinely useful messages. End of problem. No worries.

--it's chinese
--- End quote ---

Is it really any more dangerous coming from a non-American developer than an un-American ;) one? Or really any other nationality these days? They all seem to be in bed with their respective government's spy & surveillance agencies - with our own biggies leading the stampede.

--sometimes it can be a little too simplistic.  as in, in their effort to make it very easy to use, some of the more powerful options are in odd places.
--- End quote ---

Good point. The pro version has a more traditional dashboard like all the other majors do. The freebie control panel is rather simplistic. But you can still get to pretty much anything you need if you have to.

:) :Thmbsup:
-40hz (November 13, 2014, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
agreed.  good point on the non-american stuff.  I used to be a little more convicted about such things.  then i learned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version