ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Help for solving a XP home lan mystery

<< < (7/8) > >>

Shades:
My hunch was correct then. You should disable the network card in the device manager (rightclick on the 'My computer' icon and choose the 'Manage' option in the appearing menu). Your way makes sure that no connection is made, but Windows still sees two network cards. Disabling in the device manager should prevent this.

Then again, if there are no objections in using the "no Samsung"-config, I would use that one and be done with it.

MerleOne:
Thanks, will try that and let you know.  I got this morning again strange results.  I shut down the PC that is the Master Browser, started the Samsung in the config that usually doesn't work, started the main PC, and net view worked....  But it was only for a few minutes and I had to leave for work...  I'll check again later on.

pbroll:
If your network-adapter is on your motherboard, then you can disable it in the BIOS.

MerleOne:
If your network-adapter is on your motherboard, then you can disable it in the BIOS.
-pbroll (May 06, 2009, 02:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks. I think I saw something like that in the BIOS settings, but disabling it at windows levels makes it easier to renable it when needed without a reboot.
Anyway, since I have a config that works with both wifi and ethernet enabled, I'll only use this as a last resort (well... just before throwing my Samsung out of the window...).

MerleOne:
Hi,

I may have found something : when I take my old working config, remove McAfee, leave the machine without A/V, reboot, test the 'net view' command : it works.

I then install Avira Free V9 : after reboot, net view is broken again.  I remove Avira, reboot, Net view works again.

My working config was using Sunbelt Vipre : same as with Avira.

I am now trying with Rising AV, despite the bad reputation of the company (I won a free license thanks to Raymond.cc) and it seems to work.  I guess I am going to ditch Vipre if I can confirm this, but before that, I'll contact Avira & Sunbelt.

To be continued...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version