ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Can we stop with the diagonal screen length thing?

<< < (3/11) > >>

justice:
Instead of having to compare L and W you now only compare D so that keeps things easier ;)

tomos:
with widescreen monitors, the height is very important.
Mine is 16:10, I already miss the height - if it were 16:9 I'd need another one on top...

nudone:
with widescreen monitors, the height is very important.
Mine is 16:10, I already miss the height - if it were 16:9 I'd need another one on top...
-tomos (January 08, 2011, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

16:9 should never have been allowed to make its way into the computer world.

Eóin:
Resolution and pixel pitch is what I look, i find the physical dimension much less useful.

superboyac:
And I find that to be a pretty fine indication of physical size, really, moreso today where ratio has been pretty much stabilized on 16:9/16:10 (there's not a lot of 4:3 monitors around anymore).
-f0dder (January 08, 2011, 05:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Still, it would be nice if they just gave you the WxH measurement instead of making you resort to plugging the screen ratio numbers along with the diagonal measurement into the Pythagorean theorem just to get an answer.  :-\

Ever look at all the specs they print on those boxes? They'll tell you everything you could possibly want to know about the product - including several things any sane person could care less about. In short, they tell you everything BUT the freekin' width and height measurements of the screen.

What's up with that?  Is there some gentleman's agreement in the industry that you don't talk about WxH? :huh:
-40hz (January 08, 2011, 07:13 AM)
--- End quote ---
That's my point, exactly!  They deliberately withhold that information, because if they did list it, even in the smaller print, customers would get used to seeing it there.  Soon, customers would get used to it and start talking about their tv's using those numbers instead of the diagonal number, because it just makes more sense.  So, in the office, when someone asks how big your tv is, right now we say 50" or whatever....but eventually, if that information was readily available, people would start saying 40x30" even if not all the time...but that would destroy the power of that big >>54"<< sticker that is so prominent on the tv's in the store now.  Anyway...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version