ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Google+

<< < (30/48) > >>

Stoic Joker:
For me file it under layered security practice. The obscurity layer, granted not the best...but still worth using. Just because the information can be put together doesn't mean it needs to be prepackaged, preassembled, and printed on a T-shirt with a freaking bow on top. Make'em work for it. ;)

40hz:
For me file it under layered security practice. The obscurity layer, granted not the best...but still worth using. Just because the information can be put together doesn't mean it needs to be prepackaged, preassembled, and printed on a T-shirt with a freaking bow on top. Make'em work for it. ;)
-Stoic Joker (July 11, 2011, 06:45 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think that's it exactly.

A lesson learned back in the days of the "counterculture."

Years ago a friend of mine summed it up as follows: "Do the "soft parade," man. Stand up for what you believe in. But no need to paint a bull's eye on your back just to prove your sincerity. It's not you lack for balls. It's just being smart enough not to hang 'em out where they can be kicked by every casual passerby.

My old buddy ('Arv') spoke wisdom.  :Thmbsup:  ;D

Renegade:
If someone has a web site, and a link in their signature in a forum, then you've basically got their info. Unless they pay for anonymous registration. So, for a lot of us, we're still pretty easy to find.

40hz:
^quite correct.

Privacy is not something you can get back after the fact. You really need to think about it from Day1 - or forget about it. For most people it's already too late.

Fortunately, for most people, it will never be a problem.  :)

Personally, I don't have a problem with FB or G+ requiring real names or gender info. It's their house, therefor it's their rules. If you don't want to play by them: go elsewhere, build your own, or do without.

That's pretty much the way everything else works in this world, so it's not like anybody's breaking new ground here.  ;D

wraith808:
Can I ask why people are hesitant to reveal who they are?

I just don't get it. Really. I don't mean to be an idiot about this. I just don't get it.
-Renegade (July 10, 2011, 04:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't want people online to know where I live, and who my relations are.  I've seen that go south very easily.  People online are *mean*.  And that happens a lot sooner than if there are repercussions for doing so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version