ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows 7 — first impressions

<< < (8/18) > >>

Innuendo:
Convenient, but a bad idea anyway. It was covered in another thread.-f0dder (November 30, 2009, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Agreed, but I don't use that Norton program nor am I one of those people who think UAC is bad. First thing I do after installing Windows 7 is go to the Control Panel & crank UAC up to max.

Now *there* is a setting that has the wrong default value.

MilesAhead:
I put a shortcut to the control panel on the desktop. "System" in control panel is where youwill find 'device manager'., among other places I suppose.
-cmpm (November 29, 2009, 05:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

One thing I like about RocketDock is by default it has buttons for Computer, Network, Documents, Control Panel and Recycle Bin. It seems like the settings get shuffled around every few Windows releases.  RocketDock makes a nice common denominator across XP, Vista, Windows7.

f0dder:
Sure, but then what's the point of prompting in the first place? If I'm about to start a virus, UAC doesn't know about it and neither do I. Only my AV software will. and if I'm starting a benign app, UAC serves no purpose.-tranglos
--- End quote ---
If you get an UAC prompt by something that isn't an installer, you should be very suspicious. And it adds an extra barrier, your antivirus app might not have the latest-and-greates trojan in it's database.

There has always been a prompt for double-clicking a .reg file, and that's good. On the other hand, starting regedit without any command-line parameters is not in itself harmful. I would sooner understand a prompt before regedit tries to write to the registry. I can't accept a prompt just for starting regedit.-tranglos
--- End quote ---
There's a command-line option to silently import .reg files to the registry... unfortunately, because of the way UAC is implemented, elevation is only available while starting a process - you can't temporarily gain/drop admin privilege in-process. How often do you need to start regedit anyway?

None of the UAC annoyances are present on XP, of course, but there is a distant hint of the same.-tranglos
--- End quote ---
Not if you run it in the standard & unsafe admin-user way. If you do it properly with a limited user account, there's more annoyance than Vista with UAC.

These folders are inaccessible to admin users - you can't see what's inside, you can't read the contents nothing.-tranglos
--- End quote ---
You don't need to poke around there, just like you don't need to delete system files. You can give yourself access with cacls.exe anyway.

It serves no purpose on a properly maintained system.-tranglos
--- End quote ---
Sure it does, it keeps bad stuff out. I'll rather be using UAC and not suffer the performance penalty of antivirus software... (not something I'd suggest for other people though). And I like how Vista is finally forcing developers to program correctly. Again, too bad it didn't happen 10+ years ago.

Agreed, but I don't use that Norton program nor am I one of those people who think UAC is bad. First thing I do after installing Windows 7 is go to the Control Panel & crank UAC up to max.

Now *there* is a setting that has the wrong default value.
-Innuendo (November 30, 2009, 03:32 PM)
--- End quote ---
AMEN to that! :up:

4wd:
Poland is now in the EU so why not simply buy it from another EU country? Under the single market I can't see that Microsoft is legally able to restrict sales within regions of Europe.
-Carol Haynes (November 30, 2009, 06:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

Legally they can't restrict sales, but everyone does it anyway - from MS to Amazon to Embarcadero (you can only buy Delphi from a local reseller, at really aggravating prices and no added value). -tranglos (November 30, 2009, 08:06 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've ordered W7HP Family Pack from the USA via a intermediary here in Australia, (who will post to other countries if you're interested :) ).  At the time, the Family Pack wasn't available in Australia and now that it is, it'll still work out cheaper to get it from the USA.

urlwolf:
All those people annoyed by uAC should give linux a try. sudo su is all it takes to have a shell in which to be admin, while the rest of the system is user-owned. I couldn't find a way to do this the time I was on windows.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version