ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Microsoft drop OneCare subscription product

<< < (3/3)

Stoic Joker:
Is it my imagination or isn't Windows Defender supposed to be an anti-malware application? Why do they need to release a new free application when it is already built into Vista, is going to be in Win7 and can be installed in WinXP ? (not that it is worth bothering with as I have yet to hear of a single person who has had Windows Defender actually defend against anything)
-Carol Haynes (November 19, 2008, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now you have.

I've been recommending it to a select group of business clients (approx 50 users) for about a year. This group is comprised of a cross section of users with varying skills, from safe to have Domain Admin rights to probably safer with a pad and pencil... Granted WD was being backed up by SpyBot Search and destroy's SD Helper but WD did it's share and I only had to intercede (for a cleanup) once.

Every one was given the same lecture about updating things in a timely fashion, and what not to click on before the "test" began and was then left to their own devices (as it were...).

During the same period there was a steady stream of walk-in clients using every over-the-top resource hogging Baby-Sitter level "Security Suite" on the market that had managed to completely cripple their machine by inanely clicking on anything that appeared on the screen.

Hence I am firmly entrenched in the less-is-more camp an will continue to recommend WD. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version