ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Vista has gone nuts: [Major] Help please?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Cloq:
Quick test:

In safe mode, create another user. Reboot and log in as that new user. If it goes to the desktop and you can use Firefox fine and what not, ... chances (on your regular user account) are that either you have some application(s) conflicting or your user registery is whacked.

In my case, I wasn’t able to log in to my desktop, it would accept my password and screen would go blank with a mouse cursor (I could move it around and what not) but it would just sit there forever.

I did my new user test account and it logged in fine to the desktop.

What the problem finally turned out to be is that I had a couple persistent mapped drives ( on my regular account, mapped to laptop and nas). I had disconnected my laptop to upgraded the hard drive in it. Vista freaked out that one my mapped drives was no longer “available” so it promptly decided that it would keep trying to make a connection before it would even get me to my desktop.

My quick fix: disconnected my network cable from my desktop (logged me straight to my desktop after that), went to Disconnect Network Drives and deleted the one that was for my laptop. Reconnected my network cable rebooted the machine and it logged me in just fine.

4wd:
I have a games list that people literally awe at (GRAW2 is a great game, btw, I have it as well :D)-wreckedcarzz (January 02, 2009, 12:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

[OFFTOPIC]
Unfortunately, I find it too annoying to be worth more than playing once a month for an hour or so, (aside from its extremely stupid bugs, ie. try and get any multi-player game to run consistently with any mods or even just run without crashing).

eg. I have a weapon that can shoot the nuts off of a fly at 200 meters, yet in GRAW2 I can't hit the guy at 102 meters.

Why?  Because the maps are so small that they have to artificially reduce the range on ALL the weapons.  If they're going to make what is basically a CQB game then don't give us weapons that aren't suited to it.

Also, the name is Ghost Recon yet there is no sign of binoculars.  WTF!?  It's why I end up carrying a rifle with a scope all the time - so I can actually recon locations.

This is why I always end up returning the Delta Force/Joint Operations games despite their faults - they have HUGE maps and you can shoot the nuts off the guy at 800+ meters with your M82.

They are just plain fun.
[/OFFTOPIC]

wreckedcarzz:
@ Cloq - I tried using the Administrator account, and that didn't show any positive results. I am making backup and format preparations now.

More off-topicness (because we all love to be OT!) :P

I play with a group (clan) that I am in 2x a week (Friday and Saturday nights) every week. Not too much but not too little that I want to jump in and play randomly. Relaxed pace where I am ready to play but not bored/overly excited about it.

And yea, try using the d@mn mule in an MP game... if ANYTHING happens *BOOM* - server crash. Ugh!!!

I play on mostly BIG custom maps, so the weps are standard, but it takes everything that the group has to get the map complete (coop maps only). Fun, but annoying at times.

And yea - it is supposed to be stealth, but wtf? Once your cover is blown IRL you cannot just "hide" and wait, but the game acts otherwise - and the few seconds (or if your lucky, minutes) that your undetected by the majority of AI, your always worried that something has seen you that you don't know about yet (and it almost always has, be it the tank that's about to blow you away, or the sniper across the canyon just sitting there with the scope right on your *BOOM*.

Coop maps ftw though, end of story :)

</offtopic>

Oh yea, while I was/am preparing my backups, look what happened to my poor IDE hard drive that I toss all my backups onto (note that about 95%-98% of this was games... they are being moved to the 250GB drive now)...
Vista has gone nuts: [Major] Help please?

:o ;D :-[ - And people say that "You'll NEVER use THAT much space!"

Last second edit (how many of these am I going to make... jeez): Can I use a (legit) Vista Upgrade DVD to install Vista w/o a key, then use my OEM key to activate Vista within the OS? I can't find the darned boatware eMachines DVD...

A second LSE: There is a total of 46.71GB of games on that IDE drive. That makes for over 100GB of games I have installed. Overkill? ;D

Carol Haynes:
Did you actually try ShellEX which I mentioned before?

If context menus are causing problems it is almost always to do with some software that you have installed. Especially if it goes away in safe mode.

ShellEx allows you to disable all of the shell extensions and then re-enable them a few at a time to track down what is causing the problem. If you find out what is causing the problem you can uninstall it and reinstall it to see if that cures it or just leave a shell extension disabled.

There have been many occasions i the past where this has saved me a reinstall and there have been other times when I have discovered to pieces of software that simply don't coexist nicely together.

See http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html

wreckedcarzz:
Yea, actually I had downloaded it about a week ago - I got completely overwhelmed and, after managing to scan through the whole list, gave up. I'll disable everything and then see if that fixes it (unlikely, though).

I finally got all the stuff backed up, except one game, so I think I'm going to reformat today.

EDIT: Disabled all non Windows stuff in ShellExView, no help. Recycle Bin still takes WAY too long (although somewhat shorter) to get its context menu open. About 5-10 seconds now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version