ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple Photo Resizer - Please Give Feedback

<< < (6/10) > >>

JavaJones:
Honestly there are far too many yahoos out there who would just use max quality because they think it's always better, and there are too many over-large images around as it is. So I'm in favor of the fixed 80% quality.

What resampling algorithm are you using? I haven't tested your app, and the results you've posted above look fine, so I'm sure you're using something decent. But algorithm used in a downsample can have as much effect on the look of the output as the JPG compression ratio. Usually Lanczos is the safest bet, but Bicubic (sharper) or even Bilinear give acceptable results.

- Oshyan

Renegade:
Honestly there are far too many yahoos out there who would just use max quality because they think it's always better, and there are too many over-large images around as it is. So I'm in favor of the fixed 80% quality.

What resampling algorithm are you using? I haven't tested your app, and the results you've posted above look fine, so I'm sure you're using something decent. But algorithm used in a downsample can have as much effect on the look of the output as the JPG compression ratio. Usually Lanczos is the safest bet, but Bicubic (sharper) or even Bilinear give acceptable results.

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 26, 2011, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

Bicubic. :)

Specifically, InterpolationMode.HighQualityBicubic.

There's not much sense in using anything else right now. I wanted to just get it done, and didn't want to fart around too much with looking into high quality algorithms. I often get distracted by going overboard on some things and using far too much tech for the task. I'm the nitwit that when looking at storing a list of names, will say to myself, "But what if I want to store a list of names for everyone on the planet? Well, a flat file won't do, because that's too hard to search. I should use this database engine because I can search much more efficiently through there! Now... Where am I going to get a complete list of everyone's names..." So, I'm trying to avoid that as it slows me down too much. i.e. Sometimes things need to be good, and sometimes they just need to be "good enough".

I think the results are good for what it is.

At some point I'll be looking into some other better solutions, but for now, I just want to get things done. :)

BTW - Still working on it -- getting some stuff cleaned up, refactored, and getting the scrolling stuff in there.

J-Mac:
Very nice, simple, easy-to-use....  I'll buy it!!

Thanks!

Jim

4wd:
i.e. People want to reduce photos to make them smaller to upload or email (most often).-Renegade (January 24, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I stuck Shrink Pic on the wife's computer, set dimensions that were a good compromise of file size/readibility and then promptly forget about it.  It takes care of all emailed pictures, (and now uploaded ones too, I see).

Renegade:
i.e. People want to reduce photos to make them smaller to upload or email (most often).-Renegade (January 24, 2011, 03:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

I stuck Shrink Pic on the wife's computer, set dimensions that were a good compromise of file size/readibility and then promptly forget about it.  It takes care of all emailed pictures, (and now uploaded ones too, I see).
 (see attachment in previous post)
-4wd (January 26, 2011, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I know I could go out and find something... But...

I'd tried to get her to use IrfanView:

But nope. Too complicated.

Hermite? Bell? Mitchell? Is this a baseball team lineup?

Sharpen? I don't see any knives in the picture...

DPI? Damn Photo Isnotworking...

Still plugging away here though -- working on scrolling to resize and speeding it up a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version