ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

"Upgrade" Button is Patented -- Trolls Come Out of Sewers...

<< < (2/8) > >>

Eóin:
Rant warning...

I completely agree that they are inhuman exploitative scum, what I hate more are the ordinary folks that celebrate these types of people as capitalistic heros, fighting the good fight to make money at all costs.

f0dder:
what I hate more are the ordinary folks that celebrate these types of people as capitalistic heros, fighting the good fight to make money at all costs.-Eóin (August 18, 2011, 10:55 AM)
--- End quote ---
Those people don't deserve the ice-pick treatment. It'd be more appropriate for them to wake up in a 3rd-world country with no money.

40hz:
If push comes to shove, that particular patent has a life expectancy measured in milliseconds if they take it to court.  But they're definitely bottom feeding here. I'd guess Microsoft would be amused to learn their Win7 "anytime upgrade" button is patented.  Expect amicus briefs to be filed shortly - along with a motion to invalidate the patent. :P-40hz (August 18, 2011, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Would Microsoft be able to enter the fray if they aren't being sued by the company? Makes you wonder why they're bottom feeding...
-f0dder (August 18, 2011, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

I think they're playing a long shot hoping some big player will pay them off to go away. And also to be a barb for one of the players. Sorta like those countries with migrating loyalties that used to be so adept at playing the USA and the Soviet Union off against each other. It could go something like Apple decides to pay off the troll and tacitly acknowledge their IP. Now, with the weight of Apple behind it, troll sues Microsoft - and sets the value of the claim for damages squarely in the nuisance range so that Microsoft has incentive to settle. A parasite survives by not killing its host.  

Of course, Microsoft did something similar with it's semisecret cross-license deal with Novell over Linux. It uses that to spread FUD in the business community about FOSS by saying "See!!! SUSE recognizes the legal and technical validity of our OS patents. Why can't all the other distros, and their users, "get legal" by obtaining a license from us before it's too late? Because we'd sure hate to have to start hauling you guys into court. And right now we're just biding our time..."

Same old "same old." 8)

mahesh2k:
Next patent buttons in queue - +1 and Like.

worstje:
Next patent buttons in queue - +1 and Like.
-mahesh2k (August 18, 2011, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Now those I could live without. :D Those social media buttons are the bane of my 2k1x browsing existence. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version