ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Where to start with computer programing

<< < (2/8) > >>

josephus:
So would it be better to learn java first and then autohotkey or the other way around?

I ask this because i have a while yet before i have to worry about getting a job and i believe mastering more than one language would be to my advantage.

Also, could i use jave and autohotkey in linux?

jgpaiva:
To be fair, I'd go for - don't learn ahk, learn c#. It's a bazilion more useful, although quite harder to use.

Java is cross-platform (works in several platforms - including windows and linux), c# "sort of" is cross-platform (because there's the Mono project for linux, but isn't exactly the same), and ahk is windows only.

For me, as a first language, I'd start with Java by reading Thinking In Java. It's a great book, and very within the reach of a begginer.

-note: I'm VERY partial to java, because I really love using it. Others would probably recommend something else, so I really recommend that you read the other threads linked in the post above.

f0dder:
JAVA is a pretty OK language to learn programming with, actually. It has a large class library with tons of useful stuff (not always super-nicely designed, but nothing's perfect), it's hard to shoot yourself in the foot, and it's not a toy language that can't be used for anything serious. And eclipse is a free and pretty decent language for it.

From there on, taking on C# or C++ shouldn't be too hard, since those languages are very similar in structure to JAVA - more complex and powerful too, but you don't need to unlock the full power of a language to start with.

Ehtyar:
Josephus, I think you're starting well in the way you've asked the question -- as opposed to others that Ehtyar linked to, that asked simply what language to use, since that's only one part of the question.

It's like saying "I want to learn how to drive" is better than asking "how do you use the steering wheel and brake?". There are so many other factors: understanding traffic control devices and the rules of the road; vehicle dynamics; etc.

Extending the analogy, then, to learn software development you must obviously learn a particular language. But there's so much to learn beyond the language itself. You should also be looking for an understanding of data structures and algorithms (e.g., how does one sort a list?; what's a linked list for and how do I create one?), design patterns (common solutions to the problems that recur frequently; I recommend the book of the same name by Gamma et al), understanding how operating systems work, and so forth.
-CWuestefeld (October 12, 2008, 12:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
*sigh* Had you bothered to check any of the links, you'd have found the first is a link to article discussing the best beginner languages. And your contribution to his question is...?
If your idea is to progress, I'd recommend something like Java or C#. A good start could be a web technology like php, if you intend to follow that path.

Anyways, even though autohotkey (the language mostly used here at DC for making coding snacks) is a great language for making fun and useful stuff, it really isn't very good for those that want to progress, as it's pretty limited.
-jgpaiva (October 12, 2008, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Although I personally detest the philosophy of C#, and find Suns behavior regarding the development of Java as a language appalling, I must agree that both languages offer possibly the best opportunities for money making, and an understanding of object oriented programming.
However, nither language will offer you the possibility of creating your own operating system, and they have limited scope in the freelance market; they're geared more toward the corporate money-clinging types in the business arena.
In short, these two offer excellent learning potential, but they don't fit well with your future goals. I suggest picking one, learning it, then reassessing your goals before choosing a more powerful language to work with.

Ehtyar.

jgpaiva:
Ehtyar: I believe josephus really has no idea what an acomplishment it is to make his own OS. I recommended a good introductory language, as it is the one chosen at my university. (actually, the first language is scheme, but that's as useful as a comb for a bald man).

Something I consider very important here is for josephus to really acess the market he's targeting, as web-based apps are really rising, and might be a better investment of time at the moment.

Well, anyways, josephus: just grab one, try it for a while so you get the hang of it, and then switch to another one, and see what you like best.

ps: other interesting options could by python (where's tinjaw? :D), perl or javascript for example.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version