ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Is it safe to try new freeware?

<< < (3/5) > >>

Edvard:
Heh. The Linux Evangelists strike again... I'm with you gjehle, at home anyways. At work, not only am I on Windows, but Windows NT 4.0 SP6a. So a lot of the stuff I'm installing is usually to suck some productivity out of this dinosaur, as well as to get around some annoyances. My favorite trick is to unpack ALL exe's (Installers are quite often self-extracting archives with setup scripts) before running them. It has been a while since I've seen it, but I have run across some that had spy installers packed in with the goodies. Besides, 90% of the time if it doesn't need an uninstall, I don't need an installer.

f0dder:
Bookmarking, will read when I get back from job.

Deozaan:
How would one go about setting up a virtual machine?

mouser:
our virtual machine review ->
https://www.donationcoder.com/Reviews/Archive/VirtualMachine/index.html

clif_notes:
My favorite trick is to unpack ALL exe's (Installers are quite often self-extracting archives with setup scripts) before running them. -Edvard (April 17, 2006, 04:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Edvard, have you ever tried Universal Extractor?

It tries to unpack installers that it recognizes. I found that it only works on a hit or miss basis, but you may find it useful.

Have fun!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version