ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

not freeware !!!

<< < (10/10)

lanux128:
i meant the signature image.. thanks for the link, heading right there.. :)

Curt:
The problem is with terminology. The software found and Donation Coder (the one that requires a 6 month licence and registration to obtain it) is not freeware or donationware in the strict sense, its free software (which is not the same as freeware).
(...)
freeware is freeware and must remain the same, freeware is free software, but free software is not freeware,
(...)
Freeware (aside the definition from alt.comp.freeware) is software that you plug and play no hassle no question asked without the need to visit author's page, without guaranties either (I've had my share of bad experiences with purely written software) but it's freeware, that is the purpose of it, no need to register, do something more then run application and expect to run without me being required to license it or anything else.
(....)
Free software covers a larger area (ad-ware, spyware, requestware, registerware) so technically your software is registerware i.e. free software and not freeware.
(...)
Donationware, is free software that is released and the user is called upon to support the developer if he wishes, with a donation, but it is not forced upon it in neither way, not by spaming him with requests into persuading him to donate, not by forcing him to give something (like information, by registering on the DC's forum) this solely ejects it from the freeware category.
(...)
OK, maybe you can extend the donationware, to make it more .. persuasive to the cause (after all is free software, with the condition that the user has to register on the forum) but it's definitely not freeware!

-edyshor (March 18, 2007, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Please forgive me, but I think I agree with edyshor! 
:o

"The problem is with terminology."
--- End quote ---

DC stuff is free software, financed by voluntary donations - not freeware or donationware.

Couldn't we simply standardize this phrase, "free software, financed by voluntary donations" ?? It needs little explanation, if any. Download.com and friends may go on calling it freeware; they don't offer the chance to use the right term anyway.

dk70:
Why is there a need to live up to an outdated definition of what freeware is? - or what this or that person think? I dont understand need for standard and dont think there is one either. Lots of free software is "questionable" - silly to only look at how easy it is for user to download and install. Not having to go to site of author is a purpose?

Try look around at that newsgroup. Start asking questions like - is freeware also illegal software? You sure Real and Apple nod when they see their codecs distributed as FREE? like in K-Lite or the Alternative codec packs? I doubt it but people are happy, easy to install so who cares. Pro is better than non-Pro right? http://groups.google.com/group/alt.comp.freeware/browse_thread/thread/d4af7335ff70f4a1/51cfdfd3bb66cc4d#51cfdfd3bb66cc4d "We dont like that here" about WMV format, blah blah. This little not so bad program says in about box "If you like this free program then please visit my webpage and donate" and there http://www.jlc-software.com/ you notice same request at top besides a Paypal button. BUT software itself is true freeware as opposed to that on DC? If there is a spirit of freeware DC has it as much as any other program.

The popular AV program Avast, approved in freeware newsgroup, do the same thing about registration - requires you to update regulary and visit their site - like you had to at first installation. Wahhh ;)

lanux128:
as dk70 said, why must the definition be cast in stone? if the software is good enough, then give it a try.. why must a iron-clad definition be imposed on it then chucked away before giving it a proper chance? in some of the forums, there are hair-splitting discussions that goes like this: "this is a good program BUT there is a small unobtrusive screen that says something about visiting the website for updates therefore it does not fit the STANDARD definition of freeware & off it goes.."

yes, software at DC goes through several phases but eventually it ends up as freeware with full technical support. when you pose a question in the forums, mouser doesn't check if you had donated in the last few months before answering.. in fact, he allows threads such as this to go on so that the user can decide for themselves whether to try out/use the programs at DC.

there is no need for anyone to be apologetic but i'm confident that this will be paradigm-shift just as we were so used to folders (and directories before them) with their hierarchy then tagging came along and changed everything. now people looking to implement this onto their desktop.. it will take some time..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version