ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Deluxe/Pro versions: Good or Bad?

<< < (4/4)

mouser:
subscription based pricing is evil, except in the rare case where the very nature of the software makes it require constant content.
(ie i think you might be able to make a case for antivirus programs being subscription based, since the program cannot stand still and must be adding antivirus patterns every day).

zridling:
I agree. I went bat-crap crazy when Nick Bradbury sold FeedDemon (and TopStyle) to NewsGator and NewsGator promptly said "Pay up, suckers, and keep paying every year." I had purchased both and felt my investment (both purchase costs and time learning and supporting/feedback his beta software for years) was just flushed down the toilet. NewsGator has not one, but several subscription plans. I kept asking — and never got an answer — Why the hell would I PAY for something (an RSS feed) that is free everywhere? That's like paying for NewsGator's special brand of air, or less so, for bottled water.

I never received an answer from either Nick or the head honcho of NewsGator after writing each personally, but have since ditched both apps. I will never, ever, support a subscription-based model for software. I'll buy a BIC pen and write on scratch paper first.

Edvard:
Hey...
I'll buy a BIC pen and write on scratch paper first.

--- End quote ---
was that a jab?
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=661.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version