ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Splinter

(1/29) > >>

oblivion:
I genuinely don't know what to make of this.

Splinter claims to be a revolutionary new way to interact with Windows. It's a visually rich launcher, I guess, with a massive amount of (allegedly) simple ways to customise things.

I've been trying to persuade the author to add some words to the many, many pictures on his site but he seems to be struggling to clearly communicate the features, benefits and so forth of Splinter without getting, well, so deep into what you can do and how easy it is that you lose track fast.

He claims 15,000 hours of programming effort. It looks slick, but the videos and screenshots are, effectively, end products without much of a hint of the creation process.

The downside: .Net.

The upside: freeware.

I think he needs some users to push things around and help him pull all that potential into something that has a chance of getting non-geeks and graphics junkies enthusiastic. My view right now is that to get to somewhere useful/usable for a novice might be asking too much, but I'm just one (occasionally grumpy) guy. I've grumbled at him a bit, but maybe a few DC guys could bring a breadth of viewpoints and help him bring something that really just might be the Next Big Thing into the world...?

It's pretty clear he's lived and breathed Splinter for so long he's struggling to take the necessary step back to be able to handle the non-programming parts of the job, anyway.

Has anyone here already met this program and have any comments?

tomos:
He posted here, just yesterday
Splinter - Turn your desktop into Wonderland

(I love the look(s) but dont think I'll be trying it, not bothered with customising much really tbh)

oblivion:
So he did. I should have checked!

I've just tried it on my (look, don't go on about it, I know, I know) Vista machine and it just fell in a heap. <sigh> I'll take a look at the error log and let him know what failed...  ;)

TaoPhoenix:
15,000 hours at 25/hours a week (assuming hobby after his day job) = upwards of 600 weeks!  :o

dmd7978:
15,000 hours at 25/hours a week (assuming hobby after his day job) = upwards of 600 weeks!  :o

-TaoPhoenix (May 04, 2012, 05:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Actually, 16-20/hr a DAY, for three years. Holidays included.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version