ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

So, when you're working, do you...

<< < (4/6) > >>

Shades:

One dominant personal preference is to avoid work like the plague.
-cranioscopical (December 29, 2010, 08:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

I avoid cliches like the plague
-timns (December 29, 2010, 11:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

I avoid plagues that like cliches... :P

Ontopic:
Lighting is no problem for me, voices are (kid's voices are a real disaster for my concentration). Headphones are preferred when I do have to listen to music that I already know when people are talking in the same room as I am.

Utter silence is the environment that works best for me, but it is no problem for me if other people are in the same room that are not in my field of vision and are quiet.

Perry Mowbray:
Like 40hz, once in the zone, I'm almost uncontactable...

When I'm concentrating, I'm almost completely oblivious to whatever is going on around me. So as long as I can work someplace where I won't get stepped on, or run over, I'm fine.
-40hz (December 29, 2010, 02:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have had workmates tap me on the shoulder asking "Have you heard anything in our conversation the last 5 minutes?"

Though, horribly and to my disgrace, I get somewhat grumpy when those who know how to, get into my head with unrelated questions to the one I'm working on...

I do like music playing, but like many others, the tougher the problem the quieter the music (and correspondingly... the more successful the louder the music  :P )

kyrathaba:
I work best at my desk.  No music with words, although classical or anything low-volume without lyrics isn't distracting to me:

So, when you're working, do you...

40hz:

One thing I have been doing lately is stepping back from technology.

For about the last year I've noticed I'm more likely to reach for a notebook and pen rather than a keyboard when I have something requiring creativity or deep thought.

This wasn't something I consciously decided to do. In fact, I realized I had been doing it for about 6 months before I actually noticed myself doing it at all. Not to say I don't use my PCs any more. I use them extensively - and I shudder to think what my life would be like without the convenience and access to resources they provide.

But lately, I just seem to be vastly more productive and creative with a blank page rather than a blank screen staring back at me.

Anybody else in the same boat?  :)

cranioscopical:
Welcome to the fold!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version