ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Swoopo - A New Take on Online Auctions, or a Scam?

<< < (2/3) > >>

jgpaiva:
Oh, sorry, I didn't read your post correctly, I thought you meant the other post a few bellow that one.

You're right: something fishy is going on there, the same  user getting 2 items on different sites with the same bidding, at the same time.. I'd go for what you said: there are false bidders by swoopo.

Jimdoria:
Just looking at the middle item in the screenshot tells me this is a scam.

Bidding on cash? That's just absurd. Why would you bid on cash? Why would anyone auction off cash? All by itself, this item shows this site up as a come-on for suckers.

This reminds me of those games you find on the midway at carnivals and places like Coney Island. The fabulous prizes are prominently displayed to whet your appetite, but getting hold of them is never as simple (or cheap) as it seems.

(And what's with the "100% off" banner? Are they saying this cash used to be worth $80,000? Or that you can win it by bidding $0.00? Neither makes any sense.)

4wd:
(And what's with the "100% off" banner? Are they saying this cash used to be worth $80,000? Or that you can win it by bidding $0.00? Neither makes any sense.)-Jimdoria (November 03, 2008, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

:huh: 100% off of anything is always going to be nothing, so I'm not quite sure where you got $80,000 from.

My guess is that the "100% off" applies to it's initial starting price which was $0.00

Reading the page that jgpaiva pointed to, as is said by the current last comment on that page, the only way to win on Swoopo is to win blocks of Free Bids and then use those to collect more and more.  Then use all those free bids to win what you want, constantly topping up by winning more blocks of free bids.

mwb1100:
It's a total scam. As Jeff Atwood says, "swoopo is about as close to pure, distilled evil in a business plan as I've ever seen".

Deozaan:
It's a total scam. As Jeff Atwood says, "swoopo is about as close to pure, distilled evil in a business plan as I've ever seen".
-mwb1100 (March 26, 2009, 06:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's the same conclusion I came to last November. And I believe we have a spammer who resurrected a 5 month thread to post about a similarly evil business plan in rockybid.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version