ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Back to basics : virtual memory and page file ...

(1/2) > >>

joiwind:
This is going back so far that I can't remember so much about this question, so I'm asking for someone's advice. I'm quite aware that it's probably a stupid question, but they're the best aren't they ...

I have virtual memory and page file set up on this PC and for some reason the virtual memory is hardly ever used whereas the page file of course is (see attached screen capture).
I have searched various sites about this and many seem to confuse the two, some even saying it's the same thing, i.e  virtual memory = page file.
So what I'm asking is : as the virtual memory never seems to be used to it's full extent, in fact far from it, should I reduce the size and if so how do I go about it ? The idea being to free up resources.
Thanks.

xp

40hz:
Why did you set up virtual memory if I may be so bold? :huh:

About the only time I've ever seen that is if some app (video/photo/music editor, etc) wants it's own swap (or buffer) space because it doesn't trust Windows and the swap file to provide it when it needs it - or to have enough contiguous free space for it when it does.

Photoshop was one app that always used to manage it's own memory. Don't know if it still does.
 :)

joiwind:
Can't remember ...  :-[

40hz:
I suspected that might be the case.  ;D (Don't you just hate it when you've set something up but can no longer remember why or what for? Happens to me all the time.)

I suppose you could try removing it to see what breaks. But for 51Mb in disk space savings, it hardly seems worth messing with.
 :)

joiwind:
I suppose you could try removing it to see what breaks. But for 51Mb in disk space savings, it hardly seems worth messing with.
--- End quote ---

Yes true, but (as per the screen capture) aren't the 2047 mbs allocated and unusable for anything else or is this just my ignorance showing through again ...?  ;)

Thanks 40hz.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version