ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Anybody else sick of hearing "OMG Facebook is spying on us!"?

<< < (4/4)

40hz:
Honestly though...we all know our information is being bought, linked, sold, auctioned, taken apart, put back together, and whatever else...life is life
-Stephen66515 (August 17, 2014, 09:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

IMHO, acquiescence and capitulation are no way to go through life. Whether or not the above is true, we don't need to accept it. Or tolerate it either. Just sayin'  ;)

wraith808:
Honestly though...we all know our information is being bought, linked, sold, auctioned, taken apart, put back together, and whatever else...life is life
--- End quote ---

IMHO, acquiescence and capitulation are no way to go through life. Whether or not the above is true, we don't need to accept it. Or tolerate it either. Just sayin'  ;)
-40hz (August 20, 2014, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agreed.  And just telling someone 'don't use it then', is not an acceptable alternative.  Market pressure is a very real thing.

KynloStephen66515:
--- End quote ---

IMHO, acquiescence and capitulation are no way to go through life. Whether or not the above is true, we don't need to accept it. Or tolerate it either. Just sayin'  ;)
-40hz (August 20, 2014, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Totally agreed.  And just telling someone 'don't use it then', is not an acceptable alternative.  Market pressure is a very real thing.
-wraith808 (August 20, 2014, 02:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

We choose to do these things in the full knowledge of what the outcome is going to be...However, we DO have a choice...and that choice is yours to make.

You know the dangers of driving...but most people do it anyway, and there are options there if you choose not to...
You know the dangers of flying....but most people still do...yet again, there are other options...

Facebook isn't the be all and end all of civilization as we know it...there are other ways and means to stay in touch with that girl you once met at that bar you don't remember the name of in the town you forgot you ever visited...;)

Although I do agree that Facebook could be a little more VISIBLE about what they do (Although, it is pretty easy to find the information for those who know where to look or are willing to dig a little deeper)...however...Like I said above...Facebook isn't the problem here...Android Permissions are...

How many of you guys here have downloaded something for your phone that..say...lets you edit images you have taken, or apply filters to your photos...or have a custom launcher...or have a completely custom rom on it like Cyanogenmod?...All of those things have permission based issues that are EXACTLY the same as Facebook...Cyanogenmod obviously has some differences being a complete overhaul of Android but again..who really knows what the hell is going on there?

If you want your private information to stay private...don't share it...pretty simple really...I have only ever shared online, the information about myself that I couldn't care less who knows about me...and like I have said many times before...if people like Facebook have figured out a way to make money from that information...good for them!  I only hope that one day I figure out how the hell knowing that I enjoy a Coffee in the morning and I have a dislike for anything from The Daily Mail; is worth money!

wraith808:
This is a totally different thing.  If Microsoft did the same sorts of things... oh wait, they did use market pressure on other companies, and were rightfully slapped for it (though it should have been more).

Let's say it again.  Market pressure is a very real thing.

So when you get a certain percentage of the market, you have certain responsibilities to your users, especially if you've leveraged your users to get that market percentage.  You can't just use your users willy nilly to become successful, and then change the game.

Which is exactly what Facebook, Google, and others have already done.

Anybody else sick of hearing "OMG Facebook is spying on us!"?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version