ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Fast/Responsive programs: An official SuperboyAC list

<< < (2/7) > >>

superboyac:
Thanks 40hz!
I have quickly fallen in love with CintaNotes.  For all of you that are hanging on to the old Evernote v2.2 since Evernote v3 went all cloud on us, CintaNotes is your replacement.  Look no further.  And it's portable, so it will definitely find a nice home on your flash drive.

rjbull:
I made this list to keep track of programs that I think are very quick and responsive.  [...]
Fast startup times
No sluggish lags when you click on something and wait for the action to take place.-superboyac (January 07, 2011, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

* Anything made by Horst Schaeffer.  I regularly use his MemPad, Date Reminder, PopSel, and Calendar, and most of the others from time to time.  MemPad is another small, fast, free, portable, twin-pane organiser; see image.  I have one query about your criteria, though.  MemPad meets most of what you mention, but if you do a Ctrl-F search on a largish MemPad file, it's pretty slow.  I believe that's because the author uses a search facility that's built into Windows itself.  Also, I imagine my files have got bigger than he originally expected when he first released the program.
* Total Commander
* TED Notepad - one of the best small fast Notepad replacements, with an amazing range of features.  Drawback, of sorts: you need to learn the keyboard shortcuts to get the best out of it, though the menus are OK.
[Edit 2011-01-09]  Correcting typos.  Doh!  [/Edit]

40hz:
^ +1 on the portability. That's becoming an increasingly big plus with me when choosing apps these days.

rjbull:
Thanks 40hz!
I have quickly fallen in love with CintaNotes.  For all of you that are hanging on to the old Evernote v2.2 since Evernote v3 went all cloud on us, CintaNotes is your replacement.  Look no further.  And it's portable, so it will definitely find a nice home on your flash drive.
-superboyac (January 07, 2011, 04:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

You'd rate it that good?  That's quite a recommendation.  For a small, light program that seems to be fast - as far as I've tested it - there's NotesHolder in both free and payware versions.  Tip; I kept finding that the payware version kept getting clobbered by AV false positives, whereas the free version didn't.  And, not everyone would need the extra features, either.  It has quite a nice system for clipping text from the Web along with their URLs, but text only.

superboyac:
whoa, this list is going to get big fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version