ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Does it make sense to disable the windows swap file?

<< < (5/11) > >>

f0dder:
justice: we already had a DC thread about that "XP Myths" page... basically, the guy only almost knows what he's talking about.

Virtual memory, as in using a paging file, is not always in use. On XP and later, you can disable the pagefile (but not on win2k and previous). However, it's obvious why you can get a bit confused about matters, since you cannot (when running windows) turn off the x86 protect-mode feature called "paging". Which is related to (and used by) disk paging, but does not imply it.

justice:
ah ok maybe someone needs to write an Xp Myths Myths page then.

f0dder:
-justice (July 07, 2008, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Basically did that in that thread ;), and it ended up very heated... probably the only thread I've seen on DC that became uncomfortable.

40hz:
-justice (July 07, 2008, 09:40 AM)
--- End quote ---
Basically did that in that thread ;), and it ended up very heated... probably the only thread I've seen on DC that became uncomfortable.
-f0dder (July 07, 2008, 09:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

An XP Myth thread ended up getting very heated? :lol: Boy does that ever prove we are a bunch of techno-wankers here at DC.

Sure does feel good to finally have a home! :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

tomos:
just btw:
I have a (very) old version of photoshop (5.5)
wont run unless I have a paging file & I do use it fairly regularly so I have a paging file again :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version