ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

Sagelight Image Editor - pay what you want promo (Apil 2010)

<< < (32/32)

JavaJones:
I am super excited about the option to pick demosaicing algorithms. Truth be told I seldom *need* this feature, but I've had call for it often enough in the past that other editors have frustrated me for their lack of choice. I'm not going to use RAW Therapee as a pre-processor, adding yet another to my workflow, unless I absolutely have to. It's also surprising how mediocre or even bad some high-end apps' algorithms are.

I haven't looked at the results from different algorithms and apps for some time, but about a year back I dug pretty deeply into it. Unfortunately I don't recall what my favorites were or I'd make some suggestions. But I'm a big fan of options, so the more (good ones) you can put in there, the better IMO.

- Oshyan

Rob Nelson:
Here's a good page for comparison of various demosaicing algorithms: http://www.rawtherapee.com/RAW_Compare/

From that page, it seems clear that RawTherapee's EAHD is the best, but of course these things vary from photo to photo. Unfortunately you can't just pick up the algorithm, though. In many cases they're proprietary, or perhaps even patented.
-CWuestefeld (January 21, 2011, 12:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

With the Article on Raw Therapee -- I couldn't download the original source, so I can't do an independent assesement.  I not sure what the default settings were left or not.

Anyone have a link to the original RAW source (the one on the site is broken)?

I have tried as many algorithms as I can find, and find the traditional AHD to be the best overall algorithm, because it doesn't really cause this edge issue (which comes have as wierd lines or sparkling of the image is sharpened).   For example, according to the article, the EAHD algorithm seemed to do the best, but I'd like to see how it works overall with a lot of images.

I'm glad Curt posted that above, because it did make me think of a couple things.   I can see why most editors don't offer a selection of algorithms -- you really need to know a lot do that, and it ends up complicating things for people who don't look at it that seriously.  I do, for sure, but a lot of people who use Sagelight don't -- I think I am finally figuring out how to strike a balance with all that, though. I hope. ha.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily agree with one point, though -- I don't think that all editors that don't offer the choice of demosaicing algorithms necessarily use the same one.  Certain cameras identifiably don't work with certain algorithms; it's just that the editor wants to pick for you based on certain criteria.

The nice thing (with the proprietary issue) is that a lot of these algorithms are under GPL license.  So, I can just write a .DLL to use them without having to give away the source to Sagelight. :)

Rob, I wonder if your work on color spaces could be leveraged here. I wonder if the non-proprietary non-patented algorithms might work better when they're operating in alternate color spaces.

--- End quote ---

You know, I was thinking the same thing.  I can't say I am familiar with how all of these demosaicing algorithms work, but I was thinking that it would be interesting to look at it as a C*I*E LAB-interpreted image, for example -- this may be the basis for some of these algorithms that "blur" the image, the idea being that you'd construct a grayscale image from the pattern and then average (in some way or another) just the colors.

Well, it makes me excited to try it all out.

Rob

Rob Nelson:
I haven't looked at the results from different algorithms and apps for some time, but about a year back I dug pretty deeply into it. Unfortunately I don't recall what my favorites were or I'd make some suggestions. But I'm a big fan of options, so the more (good ones) you can put in there, the better IMO.
--- End quote ---

I can put int the standard ones pretty easily..   But, I do like the idea of looking at it myself, too, or to do some research on some of the new methods out there.

Have any RAW files you recall having trouble with (or distinct difference between the demosaic algorithms)?

Rob

JavaJones:
When I looked into it a year or so ago there were of course several test-case problem files provided with various test result pages, but also I found a few of my own test cases. I can see if I can dig them up now, but I honestly am not sure where they are...

I have a long-term web project in my mind to setup a site that would be explicitly designed to allow sophisticated comparison of these types of things...

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version