ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > What's the Best?

Video conversion: What's the best (freeware or shareware)?

<< < (8/11) > >>

MilesAhead:
@iphigenie it sounds like you need a demuxer.  Maybe something in this list would work:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=&Submit=Search&convert=&s=111&orderby=Name&hits=50

4wd:
My favourite converter for MPEG4 ASP/AVC output is StaxRip.

The latest version has quite a number of preset profiles but it's easy to create and add your own.  The first time your fire it up it has help prompts for each step/action.

sajman99:
@IainB:
Did you unintentionally leave the ebay junk/add-on enabled when you installed FormatFactory 2.20? Or are you saying you disabled that checkbox and still got infected with all that bundled junk. AFAIK if you steer clear of the ebay related junk at installation, you will have a clean install without any of the issues you have described. Problem is--they're kinda sneaky about it and put the ebay stuff at the end of the install where lots of people are just click, click, clicking away. It's truly a miracle that I haven't done that myself.

I don't have the latest FormatFactory 2.20, but I do have v2.10 installed. Based on your experience, I re-installed this version in Returnil (older version btw) so as not to infect my "real" system. I intentionally left the ebay stuff enabled when installing to see what holiday gift I would get. ;D What I got was a Chinese toolbar named the Baidu Toolbar embedded in IE, along with files in Program Files\Baidu\Toolbar and registry entries in at least three locations-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar, HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar\NoAD, and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Baidu\BaiduToolbar.

The v2.10 setup file was from the official site btw. Not cool, formatoz(FormatFactory)--not cool at all.

EDIT: just saw this link related to details on the Baidu Toobar.

IainB:
@sajman99:
I was annoyed by the Trojan and the ASK.com bar. I am also annoyed that I let my guard down long enough to get suckered by this pernicious con.
As far as I am aware, both the Trojan and the ASK.com bar got past me without my positively accepting them, and that is why I wrote:
The Trojan is bad enough, but the ASK.com deliberately forced and silent install really annoys me.
--- End quote ---

(I guess that's why they call them "Trojan" - it's a deliberate trick to slip an enemy's army past the unsuspecting guards, as per the mythical story of the Trojans' wooden horse.)

I still have the install file (name FFSetup220.zip), and yes, it was from the official virus site - erm, sorry, I meant "official software site" - for Format Factory - i.e., http://pcfreetime.com/

I could always be mistaken, of course, but I have no desire to repeat the install just to find out whether I was mistaken and thereby run the risk that I might have to clean up the mess all over again. If you'd like me to send the file to you, then you would be welcome to install it yourself and see. As they say, "Nullius in verbo".

Such a test would be academic in any event. There are two principles in play here - honesty and integrity. Both principles have been broken - if they have ever been upheld - by the Format Factory site webmasters and by ASK.com.
A WHOIS of pcfreetime.com gives the following information:
Registrant:
    junhao
    Road QiuJiang 1488nong No.11  Room1304
    ShangHai, -- 200070
    CN

Domain name: PCFREETIME.COM
    Administrative Contact: junhao, chen

A WHOIS of ask.com gives the following information:
Registrant:
        DNS Manager
        Ask.com
        555 12th Street Suite 500
         Oakland CA 94607
        US
         +1.5109857400 Fax: +1.5109857507

Bamse:
Actually there is nothing strange going on IainB. Not if you are aware opt-out has defeated opt-in as favoirte installation trick, as if there ever was any doubt. What you clicked past during installation look like this:

Only 5 tickboxes 8) Ask will still try to send a beep home regardless of choices but computer will not be "infected".

If they are guilty of something it is to make sure chances of you avoiding ask, ebay are best possible. Window pop up at end of installation, where you are in click,click mode already. ClamWin also uses Ask toolbar but at least made an effort in making it clear what was being offered. As preparation for protests. Ask demand toolbar must be pre-selected or there is no deal. FormatFactory could not care less, just stuffed tickboxes in one little window, or are deliberately trying to fool you.

Besides that program is great  :D

As you can see from this list "Installers Hall of Shame" you did not stumble over anything special. Those people don't even accept opt-in as an excuse, Avast is also listed. In other words they are special people on a crusade but list show bundle-mania is common.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version