ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Hidden Taxes... ever considered these?

(1/4) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
This morning we went on an errand to a local government office.  When we arrived we were instructed that the office we were visiting did not provide the necessary forms.  When asked what we were supposed to do we were told we would have to print them off the Internet.

In consideration of this it occurred to me I was subsidizing the government via...

* The use of my computer.
* The use of my paper.
* The use of my printer and ink.
* ... Well, you get the idea....
Given that we had already been taxed on all of these items and more associated with this singular transaction, it was clear something was amiss.  Imagine any non-governmental business trying to pull these shenanigans!

I'm not sure WHAT we can do about any of these types of oppression.  I have always suspected some things were amiss, but at least our eyes are wide open now.

mwb1100:
it occurred to me I was subsidizing the government...
-CodeTRUCKER (October 19, 2010, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I've ever seen the word 'subsidizing' applied to a government function before. Can a government function be subsidized?  Isn't the entire government subsidized?

Anyway, the usual mode for this kind of thing is to charge a fee for whatever transaction you're performing (presumably the cost of the forms necessary would be covered by part of the fee).  That's been happening since the dawn of governments.  What would irritate me more about your situation wouldn't have been the cost of the paper and ink, but the fact that I would have wasted my time and energy dealing with the office and not been able to do what I went there to do.

Veign:
Sounds very typical of most places now a days.  I get most of my 'forms' online.  Most have fields setup so I can complete the form, print, and save a backup in my electronic file system - IMO, much easier to deal with.

oppression?  Little harsh.   I see it as advancement of technologies...

CodeTRUCKER:
it occurred to me I was subsidizing the government...
-CodeTRUCKER (October 19, 2010, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not sure I've ever seen the word 'subsidizing' applied to a government function before. Can a government function be subsidized?  Isn't the entire government subsidized?
-mwb1100 (October 19, 2010, 12:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
I probably should have said, "...it occurred to me I was subsidizing the government beyond the usual taxes...?"

Anyway, the usual mode for this kind of thing is to charge a fee for whatever transaction you're performing (presumably the cost of the forms necessary would be covered by part of the fee).  That's been happening since the dawn of governments. <emphasis mine>

--- End quote ---
Agreed, but my point is those fees have not been reduced, but the cost of forms, etc. are now covered by the tax-payers too. 

What would irritate me more about your situation wouldn't have been the cost of the paper and ink, but the fact that I would have wasted my time and energy dealing with the office and not been able to do what I went there to do.

--- End quote ---
Alas, due to the "mechanizing" of understaffed government office personnel that don't care any more plus labrythian "Press number 4 for..." phone mazes, I have given up trying to get clarity on what is required when I arrive.  I just do a modicum of online research and take my best shot.  Having to drive back home to get Item "X" is just part of doing business.  Ever see "Colossus The Forbin Project?"

CodeTRUCKER:
Sounds very typical of most places now a days.  I get most of my 'forms' online.  Most have fields setup so I can complete the form, print, and save a backup in my electronic file system - IMO, much easier to deal with.

oppression?  Little harsh.   I see it as advancement of technologies...
-Veign (October 19, 2010, 12:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmmm... would it be fair to say, "advancement of technologies" = shifting costs = hidden taxation?

Wikipedia says, "Oppression is the exercise of authority or power in a burdensome, cruel, or unjust manner."  While I agree in spirit the term "oppression" applied in these circumstances of only requiring additional pennies per instance from tax payers could be viewed as a "little harsh," I have always been sensitive to the amoebic advance of Gerrymandering governments in the last six millennium.  The problem is by the time "oppression" is recognized it is generally too late to do anything substantive to combat its advance.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version