ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Simple Machines Forum Organization in Chaos

<< < (3/5) > >>

f0dder:
The process of getting the databases converted isn't that much of a problem... but the end-users getting used to new forum software, and mouser having to recode the custom stuff... that's where the annoyances are.

JavaJones:
Yes, exactly. Moving forum software, at least between the major competitors, is largely trivial. Converters exist in most cases that will transfer the majority of data, aside any custom stuff, like inline image code. And thereign lies the biggest challenge: duplicating the useful custom mods this forum has. In some cases they may not be necessary (e.g. if a different forum system already has a better search function then the current search mod might be obsolete, or inline image can be done in a different way already like with vBulletin where it's built-in). However I think there are enough customizations here that it would take some time and effort to get back to where we are now, particularly on the donation side of things.

Fortunately I do think most forum systems are similar enough that the majority of users would not feel too lost if we switched. But hopefully that won't be necessary, or will be far enough in the future to not worry too much about it now...

- Oshyan

mouser:
Even in just moving the bare bones, I don't think it's nearly as trivial as you guys are suggesting for a large site like ours.. there are so many little things to get right, links between threads, the sheer # of subforums and different permissions, the different groups, etc.

JavaJones:
Thread links would present a possible challenge, depending on how good the migrator is. Subforums are largely trivial, assuming the destination forum supports the same number of levels, etc. Permissions are another question, but as they're group-based, are relatively easy to recover/reset. But all in all it's certaily non-trivial to migrate a site like DC.

- Oshyan

f0dder:
Even in just moving the bare bones, I don't think it's nearly as trivial as you guys are suggesting for a large site like ours.. there are so many little things to get right, links between threads, the sheer # of subforums and different permissions, the different groups, etc.-mouser (February 12, 2010, 06:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Not trivial, perhaps, but all those are things that can be automated. Might require modifying the base conversion scripts, but can be automated nonetheless. It's all the rest that's hard :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version