ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I am looking for a file browser that is optimized especially for networks

<< < (2/4) > >>

Darwin:
I checked the users resource centre and there are thousands of hits on various combinations and iterations of network, directory, and cache/caching. Nothing jumped out at me. Sadly, I have no way of testing this for you as I don't have access to any network other than the one I run at home.

The concept is reasonable and you're right, it should be possible! But has it been "realised"? I have MANY file managers installed on my other system. Sometime this evening or tomorrow I'll try to read through the documentation for them and see if I strike gold. In the meantime, you could look at Altap Salamander (can use TC's plugi-ns), Total Commander (the plug-in system may yield something), Frigate 3 (has a fully featured web browser built-in), V the File Viewer, FileBoss (might be a strong candidate), FileQuest (though development has been stagnant for over a year), and DiskJockey File Viewer (also with built-in web browsing but also stalled development-wise for over a year). You could also check out AccelMan, which is now freeware. It, too, features web browsing (I think) and has a bunch of interesting features, if it is a bit quirky and in need of updating.

Sorry for the stream of consciousness response - good luck!

UPDATE: just checked and Altap Salamander has an option (enabled by default) Cache visited remote directories

Darwin:
OK, I'm out of my depth. I went through each of the file managers mentioned above and couldn't find much of anything out. Only clear possibility seems to be Altap Salamander, but I suspect that I am simply not looking at the right options/searching for the right help topics. So... you'll probably need to check these out yourself to be sure  :o

kartal:
Thanks Darwin! I will try A. Salamander

kartal:
A.Salamander does not feel any faster to me. Probably Xyplorer is faster than AS thou.

Shades:
Although it will sound very strange coming from me, but did you try TotalCommander already.

My linux friends use that one all the time when they have to use a Windows system. My own experience of navigating/copying etc. between two Linux PC's over a WAN is that it goes really, really fast. True, it works in a DOS-like environment but if that is no problem you could create a similar setup using specific software for Windows (in case your machine and the WAN machine are both using Windows).

Less is more...especially over a WAN ;) 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version