ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Would you buy me a $0.99 track on Amazon?

<< < (3/8) > >>

mahesh2k:
I can't use amazon either because I'm not from US. I prefer to use Juno downloads for trance (or any other electronic) music singles. What is the genre of that track? I might suggest a better shop that accepts international users.

40hz:
Hmm..I'm just wondering...under the provisions of these laws...are threads like this one now also illegal since they're discussing ways to get around distribution restrictions?
-40hz (February 03, 2012, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter. What matters is we don't know whether it is or it isn't. That serves the purpose.-tranglos (February 03, 2012, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not in the USA unfortunately. "Ignorance of the law" is not allowed as a defense argument in US courts - although it is sometimes viewed as an extenuating circumstance when determining penalties to be imposed.

If it's illegal to attempt to circumvent, it might now be considered an act of conspiracy to even suggest ways. Even if they're presented with the old "purely for educational purposes" disclaimer and warnings.

--- End quote ---

As I understand DMCA (but IANAL and I probably don't), it's illegal to attempt to circumvent technical measures. Is it a technical measure?  

--- End quote ---

Who knows? I'm not sure of anything any more. But that's also probably part of the idea behind these new laws.

Other than that... I cannot delete threads on DC, but if Mouser does, as maybe he should, the story will be complete :-)

--- End quote ---

@StoicJoker: See that? There's a perfect example of what I was talking about. People are beginning to wonder if maybe they should consider self-censoring themselves.

Brave new world indeed! TaoPhoenix was spot on when he characterized it as insanity.  :o

tranglos:
A long time ago there was a discussion about the breaking of the "CSS" aka the "Content-Scrambling System" of DVD's. Discussion arose that if a working copy was illegal, how many steps could you remove the algorithm before it became legal? There were music songs, tshirts, and more made.
-TaoPhoenix (February 03, 2012, 06:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

And before that, there were signatures (and t-shirts) with shortest-possible versions of strong encryption algorithms whose export from the US was banned. That was when Phil Zimmermann was dragged around courts for his PGP. Same story, except now we all are or are about to become Phil Zimmermanns, in a way. Not that I could ever code something as cool as PGP, but the funny thing is, you don't have to.

tranglos:
Hmm..I'm just wondering...under the provisions of these laws...are threads like this one now also illegal since they're discussing ways to get around distribution restrictions?
-40hz (February 03, 2012, 05:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't matter. What matters is we don't know whether it is or it isn't. That serves the purpose.-tranglos (February 03, 2012, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not in the USA unfortunately. "Ignorance of the law" is not allowed as a defense argument in US courts - although it is sometimes viewed as an extenuating circumstance when determining penalties to be imposed.
-40hz (February 03, 2012, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh but that's what I meant. The fact that we even wonder about this with some seriousness serves the purpose of those who don't want us to do the kind of thing we're talking about. Even if it's still somehow legal.

And it certainly is not unethical. In my little experiment I want to buy the track, or the album. My only condition is I want to pay for the track (or the album), without having to sign up for umpteen Euros a month for a service I don't want.

It would be easiest to send my money directly to the artist, but I a pretty sure this is precisely what the powers behind ACTA/SOPA fear the most.

4wd:
"How do I deliver it to you ... without making a copy?"  8)-TaoPhoenix (February 03, 2012, 05:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

Going theoretical, if:
a) You purchase it and download to a directory only you and tranglos have full access to, (by the magic of ftp, etc);
b) tranglos logs in and encrypts it into a multipart archive, wiping the original;
c) then downloads it to his machine and decrypts the archive.

There is only one digital playable copy at any one time and thus no law has been broken.

@tranglos: Is Amazon complaining because:
1) Your IP appears from outside the USA?
2) Your account shows that you live outside the USA?
3) Your means of purchase, (ie. credit card), shows you're outside the USA, (which really shouldn't matter)?

Something to try next time.
1a) Use a free VPN, (eg. TunnelBear).
2a) Change your home/delivery address, (FakeNameGenerator).  Address doesn't matter for digital download.
3a) Purchase a Gift Card and then change your home/delivery address.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version