ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why is it so hard to find a decent image organizer?

<< < (45/65) > >>

J-Mac:
Well, I'm quite pleased with my cursory use of PSP Pro X3's organizer. Once I got the hang of setting up Smart Collections, it works really well. Time will tell, of course...

exifPro (with regret) and PhotoCollector (no regret) have both been banished from my computer once again. If PhotoCollector ever gets an update, and the bugs/functionality issues are addressed, I may revisit either or both of them. FWIW, I love exifPro's Viewer. PhotoCollector's viewer is a close second.
-Darwin (April 05, 2010, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hey there stranger! I used PSP from V.6 or 7 through PSPX until I installed Windows 7 - I have since heard that PSPX works on Win7 so I might reinstall it - but I didn't use PSP's organizer component. That used to be a separate program; think it was Paint Shop Photo Album. It was really bad. Took forever to catalog the images and then took forever every time you wanted to find or retrieve any images. No one generally liked it at all on the PSP Usenet group - lots of long-time PSP users there.

ACDSee was great from V.6 through the 2009 release. Then it wouldn’t run on Win7, though it was listed as compatible on the Microsoft Win7 Compatibility site. Works OK on some machines but on most it slowly stops working. Something about not using the Win7 Libraries correctly and it eventually mucks everything up. ACDSee won't fix it but says to just wait for the next version. Bleh.

I could have purchased PSP Pro X3 pretty cheap but was concerned about that spyware/anti-pirating service it installs. Not that I planned to pirate it but I just hate that stuff running on my PC because Corel wants to make sure I don’t pirate it. Used to be able to disable it on PSPX but I discovered that the same hacks don’t work on the X3 version.

IDimager Pro would be OK for me but apparently it doesn’t agree with something about my computer - haven't figured out what that is yet.

SuperboyAC has the right idea: you need more than one app to properly organize your images, if you have a lot. Most I found use something like ExifPro or similar apps for general quick organizing and viewing and then use IDimager Pro for their serious catalog work. Of course I don’t think I need quite that serious of cataloging! So why am I here??  Arrgghhh!!!  Magoo, you're done it again.

Jim

J-Mac:
BTW, I forgot to mention that I have also been using the free Faststone Viewer for viewing photos and even some light editing - it's quick, looks very nice, and hasn’t done anything to piss me off yet!!   ;D

Thanks!

Jim

tomos:
This is all just bringing back bad memories and reminds me about WHY I dumped the whole "organization" idea in the first place and just use DOpus 9...
-Darwin (April 05, 2010, 09:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nothing wrong with using DOpus. The main reason I originally chose it against the competition was that I thought its use in working with images was much better. And I still use it for lots of (simple) image management processes.
-Dormouse (April 05, 2010, 01:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've requested some minor improvements re working with images in DOpus - e.g.
ability to open file currently showing in (standalone) viewer in an external editor;
ability to copy path of file currently showing in viewer;
better zoom-in capability in viewer

I'm amazed how little file managers cater towards working with images - if you move to pretty much any app designed specifically for working with images, you're going to miss lots of goodies you usually have in your file manager.  And vice-versa  :-(
These day pretty much everybody has photos so it would be nice if the file-managers catered a bit more to that.
Also if you work with images (but not photos) you're very much neglected

But I guess by image 'organiser' tagging is pretty much a must - otherwise I think I'd stick with DOpus too - as I have it  ;-)
Like Superboyac, I'm watching this space for tips :up:

tomos:
Re Exif-pro:
AFAICT it's cataloging features are really intended for keeping track of stuff on external drives/discs
- there's no other advantage to cataloging that I can see

Tagging is limited (I think you can create tags via a text file but without any hierarchy)
It's a great programme for sorting a batch of photos using the default tabs 1(good) to 4(print)
Great viewer

cmpm:
I like Pictomio, not bad as an organizer either.
Enough options in the library tab to checkout.
Plus it can handle as many pics you have.

http://www.pictomio.com/Default.aspx

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version