ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

customizing running services on different XP logins

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
You don't need to partition to dual-boot, as long as you install copy #2 of windows in another folder (ie, c:\WinXP instead of c:\windows) - but it's recommendable to do so anyway.

Oh, and it is necessary if you're installing a 32-bit as well as a 64-bit windows - DON'T EVER TRY TO DO THAT ON THE SAME PARTITION!. Unless you really know what you're doing, and edit all the right files pre-install.

Carol Haynes:
You don't need to partition to dual-boot, as long as you install copy #2 of windows in another folder (ie, c:\WinXP instead of c:\windows) - but it's recommendable to do so anyway.-f0dder (December 14, 2006, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I really meant to say that - but MS do not recommend it and it doesn't really make much sense as it makes coherent backups more complex and can cause a lot of potential confusion. I think if you do try and do it all in one partition you are asked to choose a new folder for C:\Windows for the second install, but if I remember correctly the C:\Program Files folder is still used by default for installation of applications. If you install the same app for both booting systems it can cause real confusion with settings (esp. MS Office).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version