ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

recommend backup soft?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Why not use Windows Backup?

Another alternative is http://www.avantrix.com/backplus.htm which I used to use and works well. There is also a DVD backup version of the app that allows you too make backups directly to DVDs. I bought a copy but never used it that much (it works in the same way but is a separate purchase).

Nighted:
Try Second Copy

Once you have it set up, it will probably do what you want.

> New Windows XP style user interface
 > Two-way Synchronization
 > Up to 256-bit AES encryption
 > Automatic detection/deletion during synchronization
 > FTP support
 > Run profiles at Windows shutdown
 > Enhanced compression
 > Automatic scheduled copies
 > E-mail notification
 > Multi-threaded background processing
 > Run as a service
 > Universal Naming Convention (UNC) support
 > Preview profile activity before running
 > Password protect profiles
 > Run profile when files change
 > Archival of up to 25 old versions
 > Disk spanning
 > Support for hardware profiles

TucknDar:
I'm happy with Genie-Soft backup too.

tranglos:
I evaluated Second Copy and liked it a lot, but eventually bought Backup4All: http://www.backup4all.com/ The single deciding issue was that, while both can do FTP backup, SecondCopy cannot do FTP backup to a zip file - instead, it transfers each individual file uncompressed. This is horribly wrong for two reasons: ftp storage space is relatively costly (compared to HDD), and transferring uncompressed files takes much longer.

I'm almost happy with Backup4All, although it too has a few wrinkles. It's slower than SecondCopy, especially when compressing files, and perceptibly affects overall system performance when it is zipping files up - not in a major way, but it does, even when the thread is set to lowest priority.

Also, it will not automatically run missed backups, e.g. when the computer was off at the scheduled time. I asked the author about this and he wasn't too eager to do anything about it - he advised me to use the sleep mode instead of switching the computer off, which is a little like the doctor from the old joke - if it hurts when you do that, don't do that.

On the plus side, Backup4all is very flexible in all aspects and very nicely designed (the ugly-ish and less convenient UI was one reason I ditched syncBackSE after trying it out). I rely on ftp backup a lot and it seems to be working fine.

marek

tinjaw:
I recommend you check out the DonationCoder.com Power-User Guide to Back Ups.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version