ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Awesome article re: organization and notetaking

<< < (3/11) > >>

PPLandry:
I haven't read it all, but it seems to discuss the relative merits of information organization techniques:
1- Hierarchy
2- Search (no organization)
3- Tags
4- Faceted

My own IQ does the first 3 and "could" be modified do the 4th also.

J-Mac:
Looks cool.
-J-Mac (January 21, 2009, 12:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you mean Chandler Jim?
- I'm still wading through the article and related articles, havent gotten to the software yet!
Some interesting stuff, some I just dont understand where it's going but will wade onwards when I have time later
-tomos (January 21, 2009, 02:42 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes - I waded through the articles there and they are referring to a search method commonly called "grokking" which was the basis for a search engine that was introduced as a beta a few years ago - actually it might have been about five years ago. When you enter a search term the reults come back as a map with a series of circles containing - what else? More circles! All the circles contain groupings of search results grouped by different layers/definitions/categories of the search term(s).

Take a look at Grokker and perform a sample search from the home page. When you look at the results click on the "Map" tab and you'll see what I mean. Unfortunately now Grokker is a business application and I believe it is priced way out of my universe.

Jim

J-Mac:
Thanks for the OP who referred to this link. That said, I'm just wondering what's so special about the stuff written there?

I just skimmed the topics and while they have some ideas people might not have read before, I think overall the ideas were flawed in that they skim over the benefits of a well organized feature and use a poor example of it as a straw man to look down upon the features they criticize.

I'm not sure anyone wants to read a long detailed critic of the article and I'm far from a productive organized notetaker so I just want to know what impressed you guys about the article.
-Paul Keith (January 21, 2009, 12:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

I liked the article, Paul.  Are you trying to denigrate anyone who happened to like the article just because you happen to dislike it? Really? Do I really have to justify to you what I liked??  Hmm... I do think there is a term for that....  :tellme:

OK, OK. Settle down - I was just messing with you a little!  ;)

Jim

Paul Keith:
I liked the article, Paul.  Are you trying to denigrate anyone who happened to like the article just because you happen to dislike it? Really? Do I really have to justify to you what I liked??  Hmm... I do think there is a term for that....  :tellme:

OK, OK. Settle down - I was just messing with you a little!  ;)

Jim
-J-Mac (January 21, 2009, 01:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Haha, yeah you got me.

I haven't read it all, but it seems to discuss the relative merits of information organization techniques:
1- Hierarchy
2- Search (no organization)
3- Tags
4- Faceted

My own IQ does the first 3 and "could" be modified do the 4th also.-PPLandry
--- End quote ---

Yeah, PPLandry, it does but I was referring more to the reasons given.

For example in that hierarchy section, the author was talking entirely about tree-lists. If that weren't bad enough, he used a poor example of a tree list to argue about the problems of a tree list.

But yeah, what Jim said. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone. Just curious to what you guys see so I can understand what needs improving in this guide or whether I can suggest or write a better one for those people who really need this sort of thing but whose needs don't match up with what the article provides.

J-Mac:
It was interesting IMO because the author described how we normally think as opposed to how we often try to organize our collected information. Though he didn't claim to know the psychology nor neurology behind how we usually tend to organize and recall different types of data, he did indeed raise those very concepts. How we want to view our collected information in two ways simultaneously: to see it all at once overall, and to also see the detail well enough to pick out that which we are immediately seeking.

Any discussion on how we visualize and its relation to how we think is interesting to me.  :)

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version