ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What do you use to keep track of your installed software?

<< < (9/9)

tinjaw:
I downloaded and installed a trial of WhereIsIt? but I cannot figure out exactly how to get started with it. Help seems geared toward placing individual CDs in an optical
How did you get it to start scanning one of your drives?
-J-Mac (August 19, 2007, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just right-clicked on a catalog, chose Add New Disk Image, and picked the C: drive.

J-Mac:
I downloaded and installed a trial of WhereIsIt? but I cannot figure out exactly how to get started with it. Help seems geared toward placing individual CDs in an optical
How did you get it to start scanning one of your drives?
-J-Mac (August 19, 2007, 02:10 AM)
--- End quote ---

I just right-clicked on a catalog, chose Add New Disk Image, and picked the C: drive.
-tinjaw (August 19, 2007, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Thanks, tinjaw.

I scanned what I had wanted, but as far as specifying what data you want to collect -- like trying to get a catalog of installed software as per the thread title -- looks to be a little more involved.

Where Is It appears to be very a very comprehensive program.  However instructions appear to be sparse regarding determining the target of the disc scans and other uses other than just cataloging CDs. Maybe it is intended for users with a bit more scripting experience? I need a user manual/Help file that is a little more clear. On to the next one...

Thanks.

Jim

CleverCat:
It catalogued my programme files with no problem!  :Thmbsup:

Josh:
Does anyone here use versiontracker.com or have any input on it? I am thinking about buying a subscription, but if it doesnt offer anything remotely beneficial to betanews.com, I might just hold off.

Darwin:
I looked into versiontracker.com a few months ago and ran away from it. I read some reviews and opinions and also tried it out myself. My objection to it, and the main objection from the reviews that I read, is that it is not discriminating about whether or not you have betas installed, whether or not the latest version is a beta, and so on. There are also a lot of erroneous "updates" found and applied that mess up installations of programs and in bad instances, windows itself.

Secunia's Personal Software Inspector suffers from a similar problem (though a few noteworthy points: it is and will remain a free service and two it is not automated) in that it flags programs as "end of life" - ie, no longer developed, and harrasses you to uninstall them. Actually, I quite like Secunia but I'd like to be able to disable it running in my tray, an option that I have been unable to find. I *guess* I should contact the development team. What a novel idea, contacting the development team of a piece of software that is in beta... OK, I'm off to do that now.

In sum, look at the Secunia option. Google versiontracker.com for reviews before committing to them, particularly the paid service.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version