ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Birth of an Avatar

<< < (2/3) > >>

JavaJones:
I thought the actual usage, as directed (or whatever), for the 3D was nice, more subtle in most cases than the usual "spear in your eye" gimmicky 3D use. It was just the quality of it wasn't that great. Might have been the older IMAX theater though?

- Oshyan

Daleus:
I *have* wondered in retro if viewing in an iMax theatre would have made a difference.

As for subtle, well, I guess you could call it that. I tried to determine if it was subtly at play, comparing the experience to what I have seen in other "pretty" movies.  There are a lot of long shots where the 3D just doesn't appear to, well, appear!  I guess that makes it fairly realistic - far distances with human sight tend to look flat and 2D anyway. 3D effects seem to be a "closer" up thing.

That might well be my sore point.  All of the up close 3D which is very obvious, seems gratuitous.  All of the far off 3D is too far to notice much if any of an effect. Hence, wondering if the overall effect would be improved in an iMax theatre.

I have no expereince upon which to base that thought tho, as I live in a backwards redneck rural area and the cloest iMax is a 4 hour drive away, so I have never been in an iMax theatre.

Essentially a moot point in my mind tho...I found the movie to be plodding and lacking in depth so I can't imagine anything redeeming it for me.

Still, it *is* a very pretty movie and I'd hate to turn off anyone who was looking forward to seeing it.  Everyone should, and make up their own minds.

And despite all this, I found the "Ehtyar to Avatar" video riveting and compelling. I've not done much in a graphics proggie, so it was neat to see someone working who knew what they were doing.

JennyB:
Am I the only person who didn't like Avatar (besides my girlfriend)? :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 08, 2010, 01:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then you might like this snarky metacontextual version  ;D :P ;D

JavaJones:
Am I the only person who didn't like Avatar (besides my girlfriend)? :D

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (January 08, 2010, 01:07 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then you might like this snarky metacontextual version  ;D :P ;D
-JennyB (January 20, 2010, 05:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hit. Nail. On. Head. :D

- Oshyan

Ehtyar:
Guys, this thread was meant to spread this video, for those of us who'd rather spend our time appreciating something for what it is (instead of whining incessantly about it). Go find another thread/forum to rag on would you?

Ehtyar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version